BRUNSWICK, Maine – Four Mammoths set new personal bests and two claimed All-Region honors as the Amherst College women's cross country team posted a 23-26-42-89-91-(96)-(107) scoring order and a team 6K mark of 22:42 to improve upon their 13th place finish last season and take eighth overall at the 54-team 2019 New England Championships hosted by Bowdoin College at Pickard Fields.
The Mammoths will now await potential individual at-large bids to the NCAA Championships taking place at E.P. Tom Sawyer State Park next Saturday, November 23, with the selection committee to make their announcement on Sunday.
- TEAM RESULT: 8th Overall (271 points)
- TEAM TOP-THREE: Williams (64 points), MIT (84 points), Tufts (156 points)
- TOP-INDIVIDUAL: Izzi Gengaro (MIT / 21:19.1)
- TOP-MAMMOTH: Sophia Wolmer '23 (23rd / 22:09.9)
- TOTAL RUNNERS: 380
MAMMOTH SCORING RUNNERS
- Pacing the Mammoths for the first time this fall, Sophia Wolmer '23 continued a stellar rookie campaign to become the fourth first-year across the finish line in a noteworthy first appearance at the Regionals. Averaging a 5:56.7 mile and stopping the clock in 22:09.9, Wolmer smashed her previous personal best of 22:27.4 to clinch 23rd overall and All-Region honors.
- Her best Regionals' performance in three appearances, Sarah Gayer '21 earned All-Region distinction behind a 26th place finish (22:16.7). Her previous top mark at the Regionals came in 2017 where she took 97th overall (23:20.5).
- Only one second off of her PR, Olivia Polischeck '21 posted her best-ever time in Regional competition, clocking a 22:38.5 mark to secure 42nd place.
- In her first Regional competition, Jenny Mazzella '20 set a new PR, cutting nine seconds off her previous best 6K mark to finish 89th overall in the 380-harrier race with a time of 23:13.2.
- First-year Isabella Landry rounded out Amherst's scoring runners by edging her personal best by four tenths of a second, crossing the finish line in 23:15.2 to take 91st.
AMHERST IN THE SCORESHEET