WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – Improving one spot from last year's finish, the Amherst College women's cross country team registered a team 6K time of 23:40.8 and a 23-24-32-43-49-(55)-(60) scoring order to earn a competitive seventh place finish – just 10 points out of fifth – at the 2019 NESCAC Championships while donning its championship season white uniforms Saturday afternoon.
Amherst returns to the trails in two weeks' time when they head to Pickards Fields on the campus of Bowdoin College to compete at the New England Regional Championships on Saturday, Nov. 16.
- TEAM RESULTS: 7th overall (171 points)
- TEAM TOP-THREE: Williams (58 points), Tufts (90 points), Bates (110 points)
- TOP-MAMMOTH: Sarah Gayer '21 (23:26.1 / 23rd)
- TOTAL RUNNERS: 146
MAMMOTHS SCORING RUNNERS
- The first Mammoth across the finish line for the fifth consecutive race, junior Sarah Gayer cut 30 seconds off her previous NESCAC Championship best time to clock a 23:26.1 mark and earn 23rd overall. Her previous best came in 2017 when she took 52nd (23:56.6).
- Stopping the timer just over a second later, Sophia Wolmer '23 was the fourth highest finisher among first-years at the conference meet as she notched a time of 23:27.6 to take 24th place in an impressive showing.
- Landing inside the top-55 for the third straight season, Olivia Polischeck '21 proved she was ready to bring her best down the stretch as she secured 33rd overall with a time of 23:39.6.
- Senior Kristin Ratliff and first-year Mary Kate McGranahan rounded out Amherst's scoring runners, with Ratliff posting a 23:51.8 mark to place 45th and McGranahan registering a time of 23:58.8 to take 54th overall.
AMHERST IN THE SCORESHEET
- Sarah Gayer '21 / 23:26.1 / 23rd
- Sophia Wolmer '23 / 23:27.6 / 24th
- Olivia Polischeck '21 / 23:39.6 / 33rd
- Kristin Ratliff '20 / 23:51.8 / 45th
- Mary Kate McGranahan '23 / 23:58.8 / 54th
- Isabella Landry '23 / 24:09.0 / 64th
- Jenny Mazzella '20 / 24:23.9 / 74th
- Eline Laurent '22 / 24:44.5 / 84th
- Paige Reddington '21 / 25:08.7 / 103rd (PR)
- Maya Bhandari '20 / 26:16.7 / 127th
- Mia Rahn '23 / 26:39.6 / 131st
- Julia Doubson '22 / 26:54.4 / 136th
- Haley Greene '21 / 27:11.0 / 140th