CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Amherst College women's volleyball team posted a 3-0 (25-13, 25-9, 25-12) victory over Johnson & Wales University in Friday evening's NCAA Division III Championship First Round contest at Rockwell Cage on the campus of regional host MIT.
Johnson & Wales (23-8)
- Amherst was led by Lizzie Ahern '16 and Nicole Gould '17 who smashed 11 kills each, while Marialexa Natsis '18 chipped seven kills, followed by Samantha Newby's '16 five kills as the Purple & White hit .288 for the match as a team.
- Nicole Carter '16 handed out 22 of the team's 33 helpers, while Katie Warshaw '16 collected a match-best 12 digs to go along with six helpers. Carter chipped in four aces, while she and Hayes Honea '19 added six digs each to help seal the win. Kelci Keeno '17 provided a jolt from the service line with a match-high five aces.
- Johnson & Wales was led by Paula Cadavid who totaled a team-best four kills, while Emily Kamink, Marissa Bunnewith, Starsha Tunstall, and Natasia Kapustin chipped in three kills apiece.
- Defensively, Cadavid led the Wildcats with nine digs, while Kellen Tensen and Kalmink followed with six digs each. Monica Cordova and Andrea Dipalma contributed five and four digs respectively in the losing effort.
- Amherst trailed only once in the match (2-1 in the first set), and used a 7-0 run in the middle of the first stanza to jump out to a 16-8 lead.
- In second frame, the Purple & White again strung together a run of seven consecutive points, this time to begin the set, as Amherst cruised to a 25-9 win and a 2-0 lead in the contest.
- Amherst then opened the third set with an 8-0 run, and extended that advantage to 16-2. From there, the Purple & White didn't look back as Ahern capped the contest with back-to-back kills to seal the sweep.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Amherst improves to 8-6 overall in NCAA postseason action, and advances to the second round for the sixth time in its seven all-time appearances.
- The Purple & White are now 2-0 on the season against the Wildcats, and 11-0 all-time.
- Amherst will take the floor at 5 p.m. Saturday afternoon at Rockwell Cage against host No. 24 MIT (29-3).
- Johnson & Wales concluded its 2015 season with the loss, finishing at 23-8 overall.
NCAA DIVISION III WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIP SCHEDULE
First Round – Friday, November 13 (at MIT)
Match 1 - Babson 3, vs. Roger Williams 0
Match 2 - Bowdoin 3 vs. UMass-Boston 0
Match 3 - Amherst 3 vs. Johnson & Wales 0
Match 4 - MIT 3 vs. Regis 0
Second Round – Saturday, November 14 (at MIT)
Match 5 – Babson vs. Bowdoin – 2:30 p.m.
Match 6 - Amherst vs. MIT – 5 p.m.
Third Round – Sunday, November 15 (at MIT)
Match 7 - Match 5 Winner vs. Match 6 Winner – 2 p.m.