AMHERST, Mass. - The Amherst College women's volleyball team swept its competition Saturday afternoon in day two action of the Hall of Fame Invitational with 3-0 wins over Brandeis University and Bridgewater State University in LeFrak Gymnasium.
Bridgewater State: 11-18
AMHERST VS. BRANDEIS HIGHLIGHTS
- Amherst cruised past Brandeis with wins of 25-16, 25-20 and 25-13.
- Nicole Gould '17 led the Purple & White with a game-high 10 kills, followed by Maggie Danner'17 with nine. Nicole Carter '16 recorded a double-double with a game-high 33 assists and 11 digs, and Katie Warshaw '16 totaled a team-high 22 digs.
- In the first set, the Judges jumped out to a 3-0 lead before an 11-4 run capped by an Asha Walker '18 service ace put the home team ahead, 11-7. A kill by Jessica Kaufman cut the deficit to one, 15-14, but the Purple & White scored 10 of the next 12 points en route to the win.
- Set two featured competitive play that went back-and-forth throughout, despite Amherst holding a lead for the majority of play. Up 24-18, Brandeis scored twice in a row before the home team sealed the victory with a kill by Gould.
- Ahead 2-0 in the match, Amherst opened up the third frame with five straight points, and never looked back as it cruised to a decisive 12-point victory to seal the sweep.
AMHERST VS. BRIDGEWATER STATE HIGHLIGHTS
- Shortly following its 10 a.m. match against the Judges, the Purple & White took to the floor again and swept Bridgewater State with wins of 25-17, 25-14 and 25-15.
- Gould again led all players with 10 kills, while Lizzie Ahern '16 and Lauren Reppert '19 added seven each.
- Carter controlled the offense with 38 assists, and Warshaw and Kate Antion '18 added 14 and 10 digs, respectively.
- Tied at 2-2 early, a kill by Marialexa Natsis '18 gave Amherst the lead and the home team never looked back. After jumping out to a 16-12 advantage, three-straight Bridgewater State points cut the deficit to one. Following a Purple & White timeout, a kill by Ahern sparked a 9-2 run as Amherst went ahead in the match, 1-0.
- The second game was all Purple & White. After trailing 2-1 early, Amherst scored 19 of the next 23 points to take a commanding 20-6 lead. The Bears went on a run of its own down the stretch, but it was too little too late as an attack error by the visitor's sealed another Purple & White victory.
- Amherst played from behind early in the third and final game, and trailed 11-10. However, with six-straight points, the Purple & White pulled ahead and eventually won by 10, 25-15.
- Amherst returns to the court Wednesday, Sept. 28 and will face Springfield College (26-2) on the road at 7 p.m.