AMHERST, Mass. – The Amherst College women's volleyball team honored its four-member senior class Friday night prior to defeating Vassar College 3-0 in opening day action at the Hall of Fame Invitational in LeFrak Gymnasium.
- The Purple & White claimed the match with wins of 25-15, 25-13 and 25-17. They hit .371 (39-97) as a team and combined for six team blocks.
- Maggie Danner '17 led Amherst with 10 kills, while Nicole Gould '17, Marialexa Natsis '18 and Lizzie Ahern '16 posted nine, eight and six, respectively. Vassar was led by Devan Gallagher with a team-high 10 kills, and Gabby Miller with nine.
- Nicole Carter '16 controlled the offense for Amherst and posted a game-high 31 assists, while Annie MacMillan dished out 21 for the Brewers.
- Defensively, four members of the Purple & White recorded double-digit digs led by Asha Walker '18 with 12, followed by Hayes Honea '19 and Katie Warshaw '16 with 11 each, and Kelci Keeno '17 with 10. Samantha Newby '16 recorded one solo block and three assisted. For Vassar, Chloe Hallum and Miller registered 13 and 10 digs, respectively.
- Tied at 3-3 early in the first set, Amherst scored five unanswered points en route to a 14-4 run. A kill by Gallagher late in the game cut the deficit to six, 21-15, but a Vassar service error led to four straight Amherst points as the home team went ahead in the match, 1-0.
- Danner lifted the Purple & White to an 8-3 lead in the second set, but the Brewers got within two shortly after on another kill from Gallagher to trail, 9-7. After some back-and-forth play, a kill by Natsis sparked an 11-2 Amherst run down the stretch as the home team claimed the set, 25-13.
- Vassar remained resilient in the third game and took it's first lead of the match following a Purple & White service error made it 7-6 visitors. A kill by Miller eventually put the Brewers ahead by three, 10-7, but Amherst went on a 7-0 run capped off by a kill from Newby. The Purple & White eventually outscored Vassar 11-7 en route to the 25-17 win.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Amherst has now won five straight matches and 10 of its last 11 dating back to Sept. 26.
- The Purple & White are now a perfect 9-0 at home this season.
- Amherst's senior class is now 72-26 overall since the 2012 season, and remain 28-10 in NESCAC play. The quartet - Ahern, Carter, Newby, Warshaw - have helped guide Amherst to three-straight conference tournaments, including semifinal appearances in 2013 and 2014.
- Amherst returns to the court tomorrow for day two action of the Hall of Fame Invitational. The first match at LeFrak Gymnasium is scheduled for 10 a.m. against Brandeis. Amherst will play Bridgewater State following the conclusion of that game.
- Vassar will compete in day two action of the Hall of Fame Invitational at Smith College tomorrow, and will play Wesleyan at 12 p.m. and Smith at 2 p.m.