AMHERST, Mass. – The junior duo of Maggie Danner and Nicole Gould combined for 23 kills, and three players registered double-digit digs for Amherst College as the Purple & White posted a 3-1 (25-17, 25-13, 24-26, 25-18) victory over UMass-Boston in Saturday afternoon's non-conference women's volleyball match at LeFrak Gymnasium.
- Gould finished with a team-high 12 kills, followed by 11 kills from Danner to lead Amherst's offensive efforts. Marialexa Natsis '18 added seven kills, while Samantha Newby '16 and Lizzie Ahern '16 chipped in six each.
- Nicole Carter '16 paced the offense with 35 assists, five kills and eight digs, while Asha Walker '18 added three service aces.
- Katie Warshaw '16 led the team with 14 digs, followed by Hayes Honea '19 with 13, and Kelci Keeno '17 with 11.
- At the net, Newby notched three assisted blocks, while Ahern and Gould assisted on two blocks each.
- UMass-Boston was led by Eileen Shi who totaled a match-best 13 kills and 10 digs, while Elizabeth Glavan tabbed a match-high 17 digs in the losing effort.
- The Beacons received 18 assists from Rachel Maslach, while Pepper Baker dished out 12 helpers.
- Haley Diedrick and Colleen Koen provided nine and seven kills respectively for the visitors.
- After Amherst took a 2-0 lead in the contest, UMass-Boston answered by scoring eight of the first nine points to start the third set.
- The Purple & White narrowed the gap, and following a kill by Gould, eventually tied the frame at 23-23. An assisted block by Gould, Ahern and Jennifer Mackinnon Krems gave Amherst its first lead in the set, before Shi responded with a kill to even the stanza at 24-24. From there, Bri Sousa downed a kill, and Christina Elliott served up an ace to give the Beacons a 26-24 win in the set and set the score in the contest at 2-1.
- In the fourth set, the sides played to an 18-18 deadlock before a kill from Carter sparked a run of seven unanswered points highlighted by kills from Danner and Newby, and assisted blocks from Ahern and Newby; and Newby and Danner.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Amherst has now won four straight matches and nine of its last 11 dating back to Sept. 23.
- The Purple & White is now a perfect 8-0 at LeFrak Gymnasium
- Amherst is set to host the 24th annual Hall of Fame Invitational beginning Friday, Oct. 23 through Saturday, Oct. 24. The Purple & White will host Vassar College at 7:30 p.m. at LeFrak Gymnasium.
- UMass-Boston is back in action Wednesday, Oct. 21 at Rhode Island College in conference action at 7 p.m.