AMHERST, Mass. – The Amherst College women's volleyball team had three players register double-digit kills, and Katie Warshaw '16 and Hayes Honea '19 notched 38 and 30 digs respectively to help spark the Purple & White to a thrilling, 3-2 (15-25, 25-21, 25-22, 20-25, 15-10) victory over NESCAC rival Bowdoin College Friday evening at LeFrak Gymnasium.
Bowdoin (12-4, 6-1 NESCAC)
Amherst (15-2, 6-2 NESCAC)
- Nicole Carter '16 dished out a match-high 47 assists to direct the Amherst attack. Nicole Gould '17 finished with a team-best 14 kills, followed by 12 kills from Maggie Danner '17, and 10 kills from Lizzie Ahern '16.
- Samantha Newby '16 smashed nine kills, followed by eight from Marialexa Natsis '18, while Carter and Newby accounted for three assisted blocks each.
- Warshaw and Honea led the defensive efforts with a combined 68 digs. Asha Walker '18 added 12 digs and served up three aces, while Kelci Keeno '17 contributed 10 digs in the winning effort as Amherst held a 117-114 edge in the category.
- Christy Jewett led Bowdoin in defeat with a match-best 20-kill effort in addition to recording 28 digs and four service aces. Sydney Salle, and Michelle Albright followed with nine kills each, while Erika Sklaver and Hailey Wahl tabbed eight kills apiece.
- Quincy Leech paced the attack with 46 assists and 15 digs. Katie Doherty was tremendous in the Polar Bears' defensive efforts with a team-best 36 digs.
- Albright chipped in 15 digs, and Lisa Sheldon added 13 digs in the loss.
- After falling in the first set, 25-15, Amherst responded with a pair of victories in the second and third sets to a take a 2-1 lead in the contest.
- In the fourth set, Bowdoin held an 18-15 edge before Newby and Carter elevated on a block to pull the Purple & White to within two at 18-16. From there, the Polar Bears used an assisted block from Leech and Sklaver, a pair of Jewett kills, and a kill from Salle to highlight a 6-2 run that set the score at 24-18. A kill by Newby, and an attacking error pulled Amherst back to within four at 24-20, but a Purple & White service error knotted the match 2-2 and forced a decisive fifth frame.
- In the fifth stanza, the sides exchanged points and played to a 7-7 tie. Amherst extended its lead to 13-9 on a kill by Natsis before Wahl answered for Bowdoin with a kill of her own to set the score at 13-10. A kill by Natsis, followed by a kill from Gould allowed the Purple & White to seal the hard-fought triumph.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Amherst remains unbeaten at home and moves to 7-0 on the season at LeFrak Gymnasium.
- The loss for Bowdoin was its first in conference play this season and snapped the Polar Bears' 10-match winning streak.
- Amherst returns to LeFrak Gymnasium Saturday, Oct. 17 when it hosts UMass-Boston in non-league play at 1 p.m.
- Bowdoin is back in action at Williams College in a non-conference showdown at 2 p.m.