AMHERST, Mass. – Senior setter Nicole Carter handed out 32 assists, and Samantha Newby '16 totaled eight assisted blocks to help drive the Amherst College women's volleyball team to a 3-0 (25-14, 25-15, 25-21) sweep of Bates College in NESCAC action Saturday afternoon at LeFrak Gymnasium.
Bates (5-8, 2-3 NESCAC)
Amherst (11-1, 4-1 NESCAC)
- Nicole Gould '17 and Lizzie Ahern '16 helped pace the Amherst attack, downing nine and eight kills respectively, while Marialexa Natsis '18 and Newby chipped in six kills each.
- Katie Warshaw '16 and Asha Walker '18 led the squad with 11 digs apiece, while first-year Hayes Honea '19 finished with 10 digs in the winning effort.
- The Purple & White was stellar at the net, registering nine total blocks, led by Newby's eight assisted stuffs. Ahern added four assisted blocks, while Annika Reczek '18 provided two.
- Carter added four service aces, while Honea served up a pair.
- Bates was led by Chandler McGrath's 12-kill effort, while Jaqueline Forney dished out 16 of the Bobcats' 25 assists.
- Augy Silver led Bates with 12 digs, followed by Laryssa Schepel who totaled 11. At the service line, Mary Deneen downed three aces.
- Amherst got off to a fast start in each of the first two sets, posting runs of 4-0 and 3-0 to start each frame respectively.
- With Amherst holding a 2-0 lead in the contest, the sides played to seven tie scores and a 20-20 deadlock in the third frame. Back-to-back kills by Ahern, and two service aces from Carter helped the Purple & White take a 24-20 lead in the set. Bates responded with a kill by Deneen, but Ahern sealed the sweep with her eighth kill of the match.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Amherst is now 4-0 at home in 2015, and extends its current winning streak to four matches.
- Amherst returns to LeFrak Gymnasium, Wednesday, Oct. 7 at 7 p.m. when it hosts Westfield State University in non-conference action.
- Bates resumes non-league play, Tuesday, Oct. 6 at Husson University. First-serve is set for 7 p.m.