AMHERST, Mass. – Amherst College junior Nicole Gould smashed a match-high 12 kills and senior setter Nicole Carter paced the Purple & White attack to a .318 hitting percentage with 19 assists as Amherst downed NESCAC rival Colby College, 3-0 (25-10, 25-12, 25-9) Friday evening at LeFrak Gymnasium.
Colby (7-6, 3-1 NESCAC)
Amherst (10-1, 3-1 NESCAC)
- Gould led all hitters with 12 kills on 24 swings with no errors (.500 hitting percentage), while Lizzie Ahern '16 also hit .500 with six kills on 10 swings with just one mishit.
- Maggie Danner '17 finished with seven kills and hit .400, while Marialexa Natsis '18 chipped in four kills.
- Carter dished out 19 helpers, Kate Bres '17 handed out eight assists, and Samantha Newby '16 chipped in three assists and two assisted blocks.
- Katie Warshaw '16 collected a team-high 11 digs, Kelci Keeno '17 added eight digs and four service aces, while Hayes Honea '19 contributed seven digs and three aces.
- Colby was led by Natalie Roy who finished with five kills, while Kim Donaldson followed with four. Paige Hanssen and Karolina Serhan tabbed three each, while Emily Moslener directed the offense with seven assists.
- Roy led all players with 13 digs, followed by Sarah Arvidson with nine.
- Amherst fell behind 2-0 in each of the first two sets, but was quick to respond in each frame, never letting the Mules stake more than a two-point lead.
- In the first set, Danner and Newby combined for a block, and Keeno followed with an ace to ignite a 12-0 run; while a kill from Ahern and another Keeno ace sparked an 11-2 stretch to help the Purple & White pull away in each stanza.
- The third set saw Colby pull to within four (10-6) on a kill by Alexa Busser, but that's as close as it could get as Amherst used an 8-0 run with the score set at 17-9 to close out the match.
- Gould floored a trio of kills, while Annika Reczek added two, and Danner one to highlight the stretch and seal the sweep.
- Amherst returns to NESCAC action Saturday afternoon when it hosts Bates College at 2 p.m. at LeFrak Gymnasium.
- Colby also returns to league action when it travels to Williams College for a 2 p.m. contest.