FULLERTON, CA - The second-ranked Amherst College women's tennis team remains unbeaten this evening after picking up a 7-2 win at Cal State - Fullerton. Amherst improves to 3-0 on the spring, and will face Redlands tomorrow at 2 p.m. (PST)
Amherst lost the top doubles match for the second straight match, but rode strong performances by their twos and threes to head into singles play with a 2-1 lead.
Sophomore sensation Brittany Berckes (Secaucus, NJ) defeated Weisener 6-2, 6-4 in the feature singles match up, rebounding from her doubles defeat.
Amherst senior Monica Snyder (Newton, MA) defeated Ahkmedova in the three singles match, outlasting the Titan in a first set tiebreaker, before taking a 3-0 second set lead. Ahkmedova was forced to retire with an injury, giving Snyder the win.
While the Titan combination of Stowell and Andrews gave Amherst trouble in the third doubles match, Brown and Clarissa King (Laurelton, NY) easily rolled over them in singles play.
Amherst has a huge showdown with No. 10 Redlands tomorrow afternoon, and will need more strong play from its young line-up to emerge with a win.
1. Injejikian/Ahkmedors (C) def. Menezes/Berckes (A) 8-2
2. Brown/Wexler (A) def Cruz/Weisener (C) 8-0
3. Stein/Murphy (A) def stowell/Andrews (C) 9-8 (7-3)
1. Berckes (A) def. Weisener (C) 6-2, 6-4
2. Injejikian (C) def. Wexler (A) 6-0, 6-1
3. Snyder (A) def. Ahkmedova (C) 7-6 (7-4), 3-0 ret.
4. L. King (A) def. Cruz (C) 6-0, 6-1
5. Brown (A) def. Andrews (C) 6-1, 6-4
6. C. King (A) def. Stowell (C) 6-1, 6-1