REDLANDS, CA – The second-ranked Amherst College women's tennis team earned a deceiving 9-0 win Thursday evening, as 10th-ranked University of Redlands hung with the Lord Jeffs in nearly ever singles and doubles match-up. Amherst moves to 4-0 on its Spring Break trip and 5-0 overall, and will wrap up its west coast swing Friday with a 5 p.m. match at Claremont.
Each Redlands doubles pair was able to take at least three games from its Amherst opponent, but the Lord Jeffs demonstrated why they are ranked second in the nation and earned the sweep. Amherst sophomore Brittany Berckes (Secaucus, NJ) dropped her first set in the top singles spot but stormed back to win the next two sets convincingly, 6-0 and 6-2.
Sophomore Jill Wexler (Beverly, MA) and first-year Natasha Brown (Woodland Hills, CA) were also involved in very close matches, as both players earned victories of 7-5, 7-6 (7-1). First-year Laken King (Laurelton, NY) was the lone Lord Jeff who seemed to get by without a struggle, as she earned a 6-0, 6-0 win in the fourth spot.
1. Berckes/Menezes def. Sumida/Waters, 8-4
2. Wexler/Brown def. Miller/Yoshinaga, 8-5
3. Stein/Murphy def. Krzmarzick/Wakamatsu, 8-3
1. Berckes def. Miller 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
2. Wexler def. Sumida 7-5, 7-6 (7-1)
3. Snyder def. Bell 6-4, 6-1
4. L. King def. Waters 6-0, 6-0
5. Brown def. Wakamatsu 7-5, 7-6 (7-1)
6. C king def. Damiani 6-2, 6-4