AMHERST, Mass. -- Making their 17th straight appearance in the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) Championship, sixth-ranked Amherst women's basketball (21-3, 8-2 NESCAC) earned the No. 2 seed and will host seventh-seeded Bates (13-11, 4-6 NESCAC) in quarterfinals action on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. in LeFrak Gymnasium.
SETTING THE SCENE
Last meeting in the 2017 quarterfinals when the Mammoths won 76-35, Amherst holds a 4-2 advantage over the Bobcats in the NESCAC Championship series.
Hosting a quarterfinals game for the 14th consecutive year, the Mammoths are the No. 2 seed for the second year in a row and enter the tournament riding a five-game win streak.
Tip-off is slated for 2:00 p.m. against the Bobcats, while the semifinals will commence a week later on Saturday, February 29th with the championship game set for Sunday (March 1st) at 12:00 p.m.
- Amherst enters the opening round of the NESCAC tournament on a five-game win streak and are 10-2 at home.
- Third in the nation for scoring defense (45.9), Amherst averages 63.8 points per game and is among the top-five in Divison III for free-throw percentage (77.7).
- Hannah Fox '20 leads the Mammoths with 16.5 points per game and 6.8 rebounds per game, while Madeline Eck '20 averages a team-high 2.3 assists per game.
- A defensive stalwart, Courtney Resch '22 leads the conference in blocked shots (62) and blocked shots per game (2.58).
- Having won four out of their last five games, Bates enters their matchup with the Mammoths with a 13-11 overall record and are the seventh-seed for the first time since 2016.
- Making their first appearance in the NESCAC tournament since 2017 and 14th overall, the Bobcats average 60.9 points per game and 38.5 rebounds per game.
- The league-leader in field goals made and points per game, Meghan Graff anchors the offensive production with 18.3 points per game and a team-high 3.0 assists per game.
- The Bobcats are second in the conference in fewest turnovers (320), while Ariana Dalia averages 6.4 rebounds per game.
BY THE NUMBERS
|No. 2 Amherst||No. 7 Bates|
|Points per game||63.8||60.9|
|Rebounds per game||39.4||38.5|
|Assists per game||12.7||11.8|
|Steals per game||9.7||9.2|
|Blocks per game||6.2||3.8|
|Points per game allowed||45.9||56.9|
Quarterfinals - Saturday, February 22
at Higher Seeds
No. 8 Wesleyan at No. 1 Tufts - 2:00 p.m.
No. 7 Bates at No. 2 Amherst - 2:00 p.m.
No. 6 Hamilton at No. 3 Bowdoin - 3:00 p.m.
No. 5 Trinity at No. 4 Williams - 3:00 p.m.
Semifinals - Saturday, February 29
at Highest Remaining Seed
Lowest Remaining Seed vs. Highest Remaining Seed - 2:00 p.m.
Other Quarterfinal Winners - 4:00 p.m.
Championship - Sunday, March 1
at Semifinal Host
Semifinal winners - 12:00 p.m.
-- Parts of this Release are Courtesy of the NESCAC office --