AMHERST, Mass. – The No. 3/2 Amherst College women's basketball team used a game-high 15 points from Jaimie Renner '17, and outscored Colby College, 19-7 in the third quarter to help the Purple & White pull away to a 62-37 victory over the Mules in Saturday afternoon's NESCAC contest at LeFrak Gymnasium.
Colby (10-7, 3-2 NESCAC)
Amherst (18-0, 5-0 NESCAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Holding a slim, 28-24 lead at intermission, Amherst outscored Colby, 19-7 in the third quarter backed by seven points each from Renner and Ali Doswell '17 to give the Purple & White a 16-point, 47-31 advantage heading into the fourth quarter.
- Renner led all players in scoring with 15 points on 6-of-12 shooting from the field, while Ali Doswell followed with 14 points. Hannah Hackley '18 chipped in 10 points, while Meredith Doswell '17 netted eight points, tied for the game-high in rebounds with eight, and notched three steals.
- Renner added five steals and four boards, while Jackie Nagle '18 (five rebounds), and Cheyenne Pritchard '16 (seven points, four steals) played well off the bench for Amherst.
- The Mules were led by a 13-point effort from Carylanne Wolfington who finished with 13 points and seven boards. Haley Driscoll tied the game-high in rebounds with eight, while Desi Smith and MaryKate Caverly chipped in six and five points respectively. Caitlyn Nolan contributed five of Colby's seven points off the bench.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS
- A back-and-forth first stanza saw the Purple & White hold a 13-8 edge as Hackley and Wolfington scored five points each in the first 10 minutes. Renner and Meredith Doswell added four points apiece to help Amherst to its five point lead.
- In the second quarter, Colby closed to within one of Amherst three times, before Wolfington swished the backend of two free throws to knot the game at 18-18 with 4:17 remaining in the frame.
- A Meredith Doswell jumper with 59 seconds on the clock lifted the hosts cushion to five (26-21), before Smith canned a three-pointer to pull the Mules to within two at 26-24 with 46 seconds left in the half.
- Twenty-two seconds later, Pritchard drained a pair of free throws to give the Purple & White a 28-24 lead at the break.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS
- Just over a minute into the third quarter, Renner knocked down a triple to set the tone for the frame.
- A layup by Driscoll with 7:04 left in the period pulled Colby to within three (33-30), but Amherst scored 14 of the next 15 points, highlighted by three-pointers from Hackley and Ali Doswell to help Amherst stake a 47-31 lead.
- In the fourth quarter, Pritchard powered in a bucket underneath, and then made a beautiful steal on the sideline and fed the ball to a sprinting Renner who converted the fast-break bucket to give the Purple & White a commanding 51-31 cushion.
- From there, Amherst didn't look back as it outscored the visitors, 15-6 in the final 10 minutes to complete the 62-37 victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Amherst has now won 118 games in a row at home, and extends its season unbeaten mark to 18 games.
- The Purple & White return to the hardwood Wednesday, Jan. 27 when they host NESCAC and Little III rival Williams College in non-league play at 7 p.m. at LeFrak Gymnasium.
- Colby is back in action Tuesday, Jan. 26, when it hosts Maine-Farmington at 7 p.m. in non-conference play in Waterville, Maine.