WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – The fifth straight year the Mammoths have taken either gold or silver at the annual conference meet, the No. 32 Amherst College men's cross country team placed four harriers inside the top-20 to post a 14-17-18-19-(33)-(35) scoring order and take second overall at the 2019 NESCAC Championships while donning its championship season white uniforms Saturday afternoon.
Edged only by second-ranked Williams, the Mammoths outpaced No. 18 Colby, No. 24 Bates and No. 25 Middlebury to secure runner-up honors.
Amherst returns to the trails in two weeks' time when they head to Pickards Fields on the campus of Bowdoin College to compete at the New England Regional Championships on Saturday, Nov. 16.
- TEAM RESULTS: 2nd overall (97 points)
- TEAM TOP-THREE: Williams (22 points), Amherst (97 points), Middlebury (107 points)
- TOP-MAMMOTH: Spencer Ferguson-Dryden '20 (26:13.7 / 14th)
- TOTAL RUNNERS: 145
MAMMOTHS SCORING RUNNERS
- First across the line for the Mammoths for the fifth consecutive meet, senior captain Ferguson-Dryden posted his best finish in three appearances at the NESCAC Championships, shaving 10 places off his previous top mark to earn Second Team All-Conference honors behind a 14th place finish (26:13.7).
- Smashing his previous bests at the league meet, Braxton Schuldt '21 impressed with a time of 26:23.6 to secure 17th overall. He previously placed 101st (27:47.6) in 2018 and 106th (28:04.4) in 2017.
- Bill Massey '21 and Jamie Mazzola '21 also registered their best-ever finishes at NESCAC's, with Massey claiming 18th place with a 26:25.1 mark and Mazzola stopping the clock in 26:29.0 to take 19th overall. Massey previously walked away with 25th and 122nd place finishes, while Mazzola had earned 54th and 122th overall in 2018 and 2017, respectively.
- The lone Amherst underclassmen to factor into scoring, sophomore Owen Daily had a noteworthy first showing at the league meet, clinching 31st place with a 26:41.9 mark.
AMHERST IN THE SCORESHEET
- Spencer Ferguson-Dryden '20 / 26:13.7 / 14th
- Braxton Schuldt '21 / 26:23.6 / 17th
- Bill Massey '21 / 26:25.1 / 18th
- Jamie Mazzola '21 / 26:29.0 / 19th
- Owen Daily '22 / 26:41.9 / 31st
- Ajay Sarathy '21 / 26:50.2 / 36th
- Keon Mazdisnian '23 / 26:54.8 / 38th
- Braedon Fiume '23 / 27:05.0 / 49th
- Matthew Bradley '22 / 27:50.8 / 86th
- Spencer Davis '22 / 27:51.8 / 87th
- Wilson Spurrell '23 / 28:01.5 / 94th
- Will Merhige '22 / 28:22.2 / 108th
- Aydin Williams '23 / 28:30.2 / 116th
- Chris Stone '20 / 28:58.8 / 128th
- William Snead '23 / 29:02.6 / 129th