AMHERST, Mass. – Despite placing first in seven of the 13 events and setting five pool records, No. 17 Amherst men's swimming lost their first dual meet of the 2019-20 campaign at the hands of Little Three rival Williams, 129-114, Saturday evening at Pratt Pool.
With the opening loss of the New Year, Amherst falls to 4-1 on the season and will hit the road for their next matchup against Connecticut College on Jan. 25, beginning at 1:00 PM. Williams hosts the Camels for their next duel, with the first horn scheduled for 1:00 PM.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Setting a pool record in the opening event, Craig Smith '20, Sean Mebust '20, Jack Koravos '20, and Christian Moy '23 touched the wall for a time of 3:23.58 to secure the top spot in the 400 medley relay.
- After the Ephs claimed the 1000 freestyle, Tristan So '20 finished the 200 freestyle in a time of 1:43.07 to place second.
- Romeyn notched his first individual victory on the day with a NCAA B cut time of 20.50 seconds in the 50 freestyle.
- On the 1-meter board, Bennett Fagan '20 marked 258.59 points which was good for second, while Tom Amsbry '22 followed 10 points back in third place with a score of 248.17.
- Romeyn set a pool record in the 100 freestyle, swimming 21.56 seconds on the first down-and-back before finishing with a 45.38 mark, knocking off Wyatt Ubellacker (MIT) from 2013.
- Smith followed up Romeyn's record-setting performance with one of his own, breaking his own record in the 200 backstroke from their last meet (Dec. 7, 2019) with a time of 1:50.10.
- After a loss in the 500 freestyle, Fagan notched an NCAA B cut score of 317.63 on the 3-meter board, finishing first in the event.
- Mebust joined in on the individual record-setting action in the 200 breaststroke when he, like Smith, broke his own record from their last meet (Dec. 7, 2019) with a time of 2:03.93.
- Capping off the day and the final pool record, Koravos, So, Romeyn, and Eric Wong '20 edged their previous record of 3:05.11 with a new time of 3:04.82, clinching first in the 400 freestyle relay.