SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – Amherst men's swimming and diving recorded their seventh win on the season when they took down Springfield College by a score of 179-105 on Sunday afternoon at Art Linkletter Natatorium.
With the win, the Mammoths finalize their regular season campaign with a record of 7-1 and will aim to make a strong showing in the NESCAC Championships on February 22nd beginning at 9:00 AM. Springfield College moves to 3-10 and will compete in the NEWMAC Championships which begins on February 21st.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Craig Smith '20, Jack Koravos '20, Sean Mebust '20, and Scott Romeyn '22 opened the meet with a time of 1:35.10 in the 200 yard medley relay to claim the Mammoths first victory.
- Amherst placed in the top three spots in the next meet (400 yard IM) with Eric Wong '20 taking first with a time of 4:15.22.
- Kou Li '21 (1:45.64) and Peter Baird '22 (1:48.97) took first and second in the 200 yard freestyle. Li went on to also claim the 100 yard backstroke with a time of 52.64.
- Smith notched his first individual victory on the day with a victory in the 50 yard backstroke (24.64).
- Seniors Josh Chen '19 (27.96), Chris Quinones '19 (28.18), and Justin Lee '19 (28.30) took the top three spots in the 50 yard breaststroke. The trio also did the same thing at the 100 yard breaststroke with Chen taking first again (1:00.85).
- Koravos continued the Mammoths unbeaten streak in the 100 yard butterfly with a time of 52.03.
- Tristan So '21 claimed first in the 50 yard freestyle, marking a time of 21.45 with Matt Sanders '21 following close behind (22.76)
- On the 3-meter board, Bennett Fagan received a score of 489.54 to edge the closest opponent (Luca Brashear) by a slim margin.
- In the 100 yard freestyle, Romeyn notched his first individual victory with a time of 47.34 in the 100 yard freestyle.
- Adi Arifovic '21 marked a time of 4:52.41 in the 500 yard freestyle while Baird finished second by 0.06 seconds.
- The Pride went on to thwart the Mammoths in the remaining four events (50 yard butterfly, 1-meter diving, 100 yard IM, 200 yard freestyle relay).