BRUNSWICK, Maine – Sophomore Sean Mebust defended his title in the 200 yard breaststroke to lead the Mammoths on the final day of Championship action, as the Amherst College men's swimming & diving team tallied 1467.5 points to place third overall at the 2018 NESCAC Championship at LeRoy Greason Pool on the campus of Bowdoin College.
DAY THREE RUNDOWN
- TOP-THREE: Tufts (1671), Williams (1590), Amherst (1467.5)
- EVENTS: 1650 free, 200 back, 100 free, 200 breaststroke, 200 fly, 400 free relay, 3-meter diving
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Flanagan Waldherr '21 paced the Mammoths in the 1650 yard freestyle, clocking a time of 16:24.79 to place 11th overall.
- In the 200 yard backstroke, Craig Smith '20 touched the wall in 1:48.34 to take silver and add 28 points to the board.
- Clocking a time of 46.31 seconds, Jack Koravos '20 placed sixth in the 100 yard freestyle.
- Mebust successfully defended his title in the 200 yard breaststroke, racing to a time of 2:00.60 to claim gold. Josh Chen '19 and Chris Quinones '19 also impressed in the event, with Chen placing third overall with a time of 2:03.73 and Quinones recording a 2:04.53 mark to earn sixth.
- With a time of 1:51.71, Sam Spurrell '18 placed sixth overall in the 200 yard butterfly.
- Sophomore Bennett Fagan totaled 457.95 points on the 3-meter board to finish second overall.
- The Mammoths closed out the Championships with a forth place finish in the 400 yard freestyle relay, with the combination of Koravos, Ang Li '21, Tristan So '21 and Eric Wong '20 notching a time of 3:03.68.