NEW LONDON, Conn. – The Mammoths impressed with nine event victories as the Amherst College men's swimming & diving team battled past Connecticut College, 165-129 Saturday afternoon at Jane Cadwell Lott Natatorium.
With the win, the Mammoths improve to 6-0 in dual meet action on the year. Amherst returns to the pool on Saturday, Feb. 3 when they travel to MIT for a 1 p.m. matchup.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The 200 yard medley quartet of Craig Smith '20, Elijah Spiro '18, Jack Koravos '20 and Tristan So '21 added nine points to the board in the first event of the day for Amherst, clocking a time of 1:34.82 to earn first overall.
- Flanagan Waldherr '21 paced the Mammoths in the 1000 yard free, clinching third with a 10:02.09 mark, while Eric Wong logged a second place finish in the 200 yard free (1:46.18).
- In the 100 yard backstroke, Smith led all swimmers with a time of 52.70 seconds, while Spiro tallied Amherst's third win of the day in the 100 yard breaststroke with a 57.85 second mark.
- Sam Spurrell '18 took gold in the 200 yard butterfly, clocking a time of 1:55.76.
- In the 50 yard free, So placed second overall (21.55 seconds), before Wong finished second in the 100 yard free (48.07 seconds) to pace Amherst.
- Bennett Fagan '20 swept the dive events, tallying 220.35 points in the 1-meter dive and 244.65 points in the 3-meter.
- Smith notched his second individual win in the 200 yard backstroke, touching the wall in 1:54.92, while Sean Mebust '20 took gold in the 200 yard breaststroke (2:09.97).
- With a time of 4:52.75, Charles Seltzer '19 placed third in the 500 yard free, while Spurrell's swim of 51.71 seconds in the 100 yard butterfly was good for second overall.
- Brandon Wang '20 clinched first in the 200 yard IM with a 1:59.01 mark, before the 200 yard freestyle relay team of So, Mebust, Bobby Meyer '21 and Koravos closed out the meet with a second place finish (1:26.62).