MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Amherst College men's swimming and diving team claimed nine event wins Monday evening as they defeated Little III rival Wesleyan, 161-126 at the Wesleyan Natatorium to improve to 2-0 in dual meet action.
The Mammoths return to the pool on Saturday, Dec. 2 when they host Middlebury College in their home opener at Pratt Pool beginning at 1 p.m.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Amherst added 15 points to the board behind first and second places finishes in the 200 medley relay, before Eric Wong '20 touched the wall in 4:11.30 in the 400 yard I.M. to place first overall.
- Kou Li '21 and Charles Seltzer '19 led the pack in the 200 yard freestyle, clocking times of 1:42.43 and 1:45.47, respectively, while Craig Smith '20 took gold in the 50 yard backstroke with a 24.49 mark.
- The Mammoths swept the 50 yard breaststroke and 100 yard butterfly, with Elijah Spiro '18 (26.24), Josh Chen '19 (27.12) and Sean Mebust '20 (27.17) claiming the top three spots in the 50 yard event and Tristan So '21 (51.89), Sam Spurrell '18 (53.23) and John Janezich (52.74) posting the thee best times in the fly.
- With a 21.73 mark, Jack Koravos'20 notched a first place finish in the 50 yard freestyle, while Matt Sanders '21 clocked a 22.65 mark to earn third.
- Bennett Fagan '20 placed second in both the 3 meter and 1 meter dive event with 231.97 and 240.07 points.
- In the 100 yard freestyle, Li placed first overall (47.65) and Wong took second (48.15), while Smith touched the wall in 52.75 to earn gold in the 100 yard backstroke.
- Spiro clocked a time of 58.64 to place first in the 100 yard breaststroke.