AMHERST, Mass. – Sophomore Josh Chen and first-year Craig Smith each won two individual events as the No. 13 Amherst College men's swimming and diving team recorded a 151-115 season-opener victory over Colby College Saturday afternoon in Pratt Pool.
• RESULT: W 151-115
• LOCATION: Pratt Pool, Amherst, Massachusetts
- The Purple & White powered to 10 first place finishes for its first win of the 2016-17 season.
- Smith and Chen had a hand in the 200-yard medley relay first place finish with a time of 1:35.89 for 11 points, while Smith earned first place honors in the 200-yard backstroke (1:55.58) and the 100-yard backstroke (53.41). Chen touched first in the 200-yard breaststroke with a mark of 2:12.20, and the 100-yard breaststroke in 58.70.
- Senior Connor Haley finished first in the 1000-yard freestyle (10:12.24), while junior Nathan Ives placed second in 10:28.03.
- Capturing a first collegiate victory, Jack Koravus clocked a time of 47.83 to win the 100-yard freestyle.
- Alex Dreisbach '17 (50-yard freestyle, 21.72), Sam Spurrell '18 (200-yard butterfly, 1:55.51), and John Janezich '18 (200-yard freestyle, 1:48.31) rounded out the Purple & White's individual victors in the dual meet.
- Amherst returns to action Monday, Nov. 21 against Little III rival Wesleyan University beginning at 5 p.m. in Middletown, Conn.