Posted: Feb 01, 2016
AMHERST, Mass. – The No. 9 Amherst College men's swimming & diving team used 16 wins, including seven sweeps, to down Springfield College, 223-57, Sunday afternoon at Pratt Pool.
- RESULT: W 223 – 57 (6-2)
- LOCATION: Pratt Pool, Amherst College
- Amherst took the top two spots in the 200-yard medley, with Matt Heise '16, Elijah Spiro '18, Sam Spurrell '18, and Jeff Anderson '16 finishing in 1:34.44 and the quartet of Rishi Kowalski '16, Josh Chen '19, Sebastian Cruz '16, and Vic Sun '16 clocking a time of 1:36.70.
- The Purple & White swept the 1,650-yard freestyle race as Connor Haley '17, John Brody '17, and Nathan Ives '18 claimed the top-three spots with times of 16:49.73, 17:11.71, and 17:57.81, respectively.
- John Janezich '18 earned first in the 200-yard freestyle with a mark of 1:46.42, while Dreisbach finished second (1:47.11), and Chris Quinones '19 finished third (1:48.80).
- Amherst continued its stellar performance in the 100-yard backstroke as Kowalski (53.80), Spurrell (54.61), and Charlie Seltzer '19 (54.85) swept the event.
- Spiro finished first in the 100-yard breaststroke event with a NCAA "B" cut time of 57.46. Chen claimed third in the event (59.55).
- Anderson and Cruz finished back-to-back in the 200-yard butterfly, with Anderson finishing first overall with a NCAA "B" cut time of 1:51.67 and Cruz putting up a mark of 2:00.80 to take second.
- In its fourth sweep of the meet, the Purple & White finished in the top-three spots in the 50-yard freestyle. Heise led the way with a time of 22.36, while Sun took second (22.37), and Reed Patterson '17 earned third (22.62).
- Senior Asher Lichtig swept the diving events, setting a Pratt Pool records and earning NCAA "B" cut scores in both the 3-meter and 1-meter diving events with scores of 525.82 and 485.77, respectively.
- Anderson (47.67), Dreisbach (48.37), and John Brody '16 (49.44) swept the 100-yard freestyle.
- Heise took first in the 200-yard backstroke with a mark of 1:55.47, while Kowalski claimed second (2:01.69).
- Amherst took the top-three spots in the 200-yard breaststroke, with Han taking first with a mark of 2:11.98, Chen earning second with a time of 2:12.94, and Justin Lee '16 finishing third with a mark of 2:13.98.
- Janezich finished first in the 500-yard freestyle, hitting the wall in 4:47.80, while Nick Lafky '17 claimed third with a time of 4:59.64.
- Spurrell, Spiro, and Cruz swept the 100-yard butterfly with times of 51.77, 52.89, and 54.10, respectively.
- Seltzer finished first in the 400-yard IM with a time of 4:23.40.
- The squads of Dreisbach, Spurrell, Sun, and Heise and Cruz, Brody, Patterson, and Janezich finished back-to-back in the 200-yard freestyle relay with times of 1:28.79 and 1:30.14, respectively.
- Springfield returns home to take on Holy Cross in dual meet action on Feb. 6 at 1 p.m.
- Amherst is set to compete at the NESCAC Championships at Williams College from Feb. 19-21. Each day of the Championships is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m.