Amherst Snaps No. 4 Camels' 10-Game Win Streak With 1-1 Double Overtime Tie

Amherst Snaps No. 4 Camels' 10-Game Win Streak With 1-1 Double Overtime Tie

New London, Conn. – Snapping the Camel's 10-game win streak, the Mammoths were just the second team of the year to find the back of the net against the home team as the Amherst College men's soccer team and No. 4 Connecticut College fought to a 1-1 double overtime draw Tuesday evening at Freeman Field.

"It's hard to be upset at getting a point on the road against an undefeated team that has given up one goal all year," commented head coach Justin Serpone. "Having said that we felt like there were some things we could have done better today so I don't think anyone is excited about the result."

With the tie, Amherst moves to 6-3-1 on the season and to 3-3-1 in league play, while Connecticut College moves to 10-0-1 overall (6-0-1 NESCAC). Amherst returns home to Hitchcock Field on Saturday, Oct. 13 when they face off against Colby on Senior Day beginning at 2:30 p.m. 

"Luke Nguyen was fantastic today and really put the team on his back," continued Serpone. "He's been showing all year why he's one of the best handful of players in New England."

Combining for six shots on frame through the first 45 minutes of action, the first half proved to be a closely contended battle as neither side was able to gain the advantage heading into intermission. 

Breaking the deadlock in the 54th minute, it was the Camels who ultimately struck first behind Uzii Dieng's third goal of the fall. Teeing up the scoring play, Matt Butera flicked a pass behind the defense to Dieng who powered a shot into the nylon to give Connecticut College a 1-0 lead with 35:22 remaining on the clock.

Responding eight minutes later, the Mammoths knocked in a score to even the contest at one all at the 62:50 mark. Just the second goal given up by the Camels' defense all season, a shot by German Giammattei '22 was determined to have inched its way over the goal line and past the Connecticut College keeper following a corner kick by Fikayo Ajayi '19. 

The one shot that found its way to target in the final 22 minutes of regulation was turned away by Bernie White '22 to force overtime, however extra time proved to be more of the same between the sides as neither team was able to put a shot on net and the matchup concluded in a 1-1 tie.

In between the pipes, White (4-1-1) registered six stops for Amherst in the draw, while AJ Marcucci (9-0-1) made two saves for the Camels. 

The Mammoths owned the edge in corner kicks, 5-4, and were whistled for 18 fouls, while Connecticut College held the advantage in shots, 13-11, and was called for 9 infractions.

"Colby beat is last year and no one has forgotten that," noted Serpone. "Saturday is a critical game for us in a lot of ways."