NESCAC CHAMPIONSHIP CENTRAL
AMHERST, Mass. – The third-seeded Amherst College men's ice hockey team is gearing up to host No. 6 seed Colby College this Saturday, Feb. 23 for a NESCAC Championship Quarterfinal battle at Orr Rink in a rematch of last season's first round bout. The puck is set to drop at 3:00 p.m.
Saturday's NESCAC Quarterfinal will feature live stats and a webcast broadcasted by the Northeast Sports Network (NSN).
SETTING THE SCENE
Facing off twice during the regular season, Amherst picked up a 6-3 win over the Mules at home on Jan. 5 before skating to a 2-2 overtime tie at Alfond Rink on Feb. 2.
The Mammoths have been in every NESCAC Championship field and are the No. 3 seed for the second year in a row. A three-time NESCAC Champion, the Mammoths last won the title in 2015 and enter the NESCAC Championship riding a seven-game unbeaten streak (5-0-2). Colby won its first NESCAC title last year as the No. 6 seed and is in the NESCAC tournament for the fourth straight season. The Mules went 3-1-2 to close the regular season.
No. 3 Seed (13-6-4, 10-4-4 NESCAC) – Schedule/Roster/Stats
One of just two teams to appear in every NESCAC Championship tournament since its inception, Amherst enters the postseason for the 20th consecutive season with a 17-16 all-time record in Championship play. The Mammoths will look to move past the Quarterfinals for the fourth time in the past six seasons while in search of the program's fourth NESCAC title (2009, 2012, 2015).
- Tied for fifth in the NESCAC in points per game (1.00), Joey Lupo '20 leads the Mammoths in goals (10), assists (12) and points (22), while Phil Johansson '19 has racked up 18 points behind six goals and 12 helpers to rank 13th in the league in PPG.
- Sean Wrenn '22 (8G, 6A, 14P), P.J. Conlon '20 (5G, 9A, 14P), Jack Fitzgerald '19 (7G, 6A, 13P), Nick Bondra '21 (3G, 10A, 13P) and Patrick Daly '20 (4G, 8A, 12P) constitute the Mammoths other 10-plus point getters on the season.
- In between the pipes, Michael Cullen '21 (7-3-1) and Giancarlo Ventre '20 (6-3-3) have each started 12 contests to split minutes for the Mammoths. Cullen has racked up 252 saves in 695:48 to boast a .920 save percentage and a 1.90 goals against average, while Ventre has registered 312 stops in 695:00 to own a .923 save percentage and a 2.24 GAA.
No. 6 Seed (10-9-5, 7-7-4 NESCAC) – Schedule/Roster/Stats
Capturing the program's first-ever conference crown last season as the No. 6 seed, Colby hits the ice this weekend looking to remake last season magic as they return to where it all started last winter.
- Nick O'Connor headlines the Mules offensive attack – netting 14 goals and dishing out 13 assists to total 27 points and rank second in the league in PPG (1.12).
- Thomas Stahlhuth and Justin Grillo have each potted seven scores and added seven helpers to record 14 points, while Logan Clarke (2G, 11A, 14P), Kienan Scott (3G, 9A, 12P), Spencer Hewson (4G, 6A, 10P) and Michael Thomas (0G, 10A, 10P) round out Colby's 10-plus point getters.
- Andrew Tucci (9-7-4) has seen the majority of minutes in net for the Mules, logging 558 saves in 1216:59 minutes to own a .924 save percentage and a 2.27 goals against average.
BY THE NUMBERS
|No. 3 Amherst||No. 6 Colby|
|Power Play %||18.1%||17.8%|
|Penalty Kill %||90.0%||79.0%|
2019 NESCAC Men's Ice Hockey Championship
Quarterfinals - Saturday, February 23
No. 8 Tufts at No. 1 Trinity - 1 p.m.
No. 7 Middlebury at No. 2 Wesleyan - 3 p.m.
No. 6 Colby at No. 3 Amherst - 3 p.m.
No. 5 Williams at No. 4 Hamilton - 1 p.m.