Men's Hockey Battles No. 9/7 Trinity to 1-1 Overtime Draw

Men's Hockey Battles No. 9/7 Trinity to 1-1 Overtime Draw

AMHERST, Mass. – The Mammoths outshot the Bantams 38-27 and led for more than 40 minutes, however a late goal by the visitors forced a draw as the Amherst College men's hockey team battled No. 9/7 Trinity College to a 1-1 overtime tie Saturday afternoon at Orr Rink.

With the draw, Amherst moves to 8-6-3 on the season and to 5-4-3 in league play, while Trinity moves to 10-3-5 overall (6-2-4 NESCAC). Amherst returns to action on Friday, Feb. 1 when they travel to Bowdoin College for a 7 p.m. bout.=

The visitors best chance to get on the board in the opening period came five minutes into the matchup, with Michael Grande hitting Eric Benshadle with a great pass at the offensive blue line to earn a path to net, however his wrister from the top of the right circle was countered with a kick stop by the Mammoths' keeper.   

Capitalizing on the Bantams' first penalty of the contest at the 7:32 mark, Nick Bondra '21 potted his third score the winter to give the home team a 1-0 edge. Working the puck around the zone, Jack Fitzgerald's '19 slapper on target was met with a shoulder save, however the rebound deflected off of Bondra and down to his stick for the putback score.

An energetic, back-and-forth second period featured several quality scoring chances by the two squads, however impressive goalkeeping was on display at both ends of the ice to keep the stanza scoreless.

Steven Mallory '19 and Sean Wrenn '22 each made a bid to double the Mammoths lead in the second, but both Mallory's attempt at 11:02 mark and Wrenn's shot with 33 seconds remaining rang off the pipe.

Coming on strong in the latter half of the stanza, Mark Knowlton nearly converted on shot from the right hash on a 2-v-1, however the attempt ricocheted off the glove of the Amherst netminder with 8:55 on the clock. Nicholas Polsinelli had another good opportunity for the Bantams three minutes later as he poked the puck away from an Amherst forward to earn a shorthanded breakaway, but his deke to his backhand was stonewalled by Giancarlo Ventre '20.

Breaking through with 2:17 remaining in regulation while shorthanded, Grande tallied his fifth goal of the year for Trinity to play hero and force overtime. Winning the faceoff on the right dot, Dylan Healey drew the puck back to Michael O'Brien who dished a D-to-D pass to Grande on the left point for the one-time score. 

Amherst dominated momentum in overtime, owning a 7-1 edge in shots on net, however Tedy Loughborough stood strong for the Bantams to keep the home team from netting the game-winner.

In between the pipes,Ventre (3-3-2) recorded 26 saves for the Mammoths in the draw, while Loughborough (6-2-2) racked up 37 stops for the Bantams.

Amherst owned a 38-27 advantage in shots on frame and finished 1-for-8 on the power play, while Trinity went 0-for-4 up a skater.