AMHERST, Mass. – The Amherst men's ice hockey team used a three goal second period to down conference rival Connecticut College, 4-1, in Sunday afternoon's NESCAC tilt at Orr Rink on Senior Day.
Conn. College (3-17-2, 0-14-2 NESCAC)
Amherst (9-9-4, 7-6-3 NESCAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Amherst scored a trio of goals in the second stanza to finish out its four game home stand with a 4-1 victory.
- Neither team was able to capitalize on power-play opportunities, with both the Purple & White and the Camels going 0-for-5.
- Amherst held a decisive 43-19 advantage in shots, including a 16-3 edge in the third period.
- Dave Cunningham '16 (4-3-4) recorded 18 saves, including 13 in the second period, in the winning effort for Amherst, while Tom Conlin (3-15-2) made 39 saves in net for the Camels.
- Amherst and Connecticut College played to a scoreless first stanza, with the Purple & White holding a 12-2 advantage in shots on goal.
- Tim DiPretoro had the Camels best opportunity of the opening period, finding the puck in a scrum in front of the net and sending a shot off the left post.
- The Purple & White threatened twice in the opening ten minutes of the second stanza as Will Vosejpka '18 and Chris Roll '17 both had opportunities from point blank range, but Conlin made impressive glove saves on both shots to thwart their efforts.
- Amherst was first on the scoreboard as senior captain Brendan Burke collected a pass from Roll in the high slot and sent a wrist shot past the Camel netminder at the 7:05 mark.
- Captain Conor Brown '16 made it a 2-0 contest 26 seconds later, ripping a shot from just inside the blue line into the netting.
- Tim DiPretoro brought the Camels back within one at the 5:33 mark as he corralled a cross-ice pass from Joe Birmingham at the left face off dot and sent a snap shot over the shoulder of Cunningham.
- First-year Max Roche rounded out Amherst scoring in the second stanza after a perfect pass from David White found Roche alone in front of the net.
- The Purple & White regained a three-goal cushion with 11:55 remaining in the matchup as Patrick Mooney '18 one-timed a shot from the left point into the goal. Burke and Thomas Lindstrom were credited with the assists on the scoring play.
- Cunningham capped off a stellar day in net for the Purple & White by making an acrobatic save on a shot by DiPretoro at the 8:58 mark.
- Brown led all skaters with six shots on target in the outing, while DiPretoro led the Camels with four shots on frame.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Sunday's matchup marked Senior Day for the Purple & White who graduated eight student-athletes, including: Xavier Louis Reed, Theo Hannah, Kevin Ryder, Patrick Arena, co-captain Brendan Burke, Topher Flanagan, co-captain Conor Brown, and Dave Cunningham.
- Together, the senior class has accumulated a 61-29-12 overall record, a 42-19-7 record in NESCAC play, and a 35-8-6 record at home at Orr Rink, while making three conference championship tournament appearances, including a NESCAC Championship title and NCAA Final Four appearance in 2014-2015.
- The Camels return home to take on Colby College on Feb. 19 at 7 p.m.
- Amherst travels to Williamstown, Mass. to face off against archrival Williams College on Saturday, Feb. 20 at 3 p.m.