AMHERST, Mass. – Chris Roll '17 and Thomas Lindstrom '18 each tallied a score as the Amherst College men's ice hockey team battled to a 2-1 victory over Tufts University in Saturday evening's NESCAC tilt.
Tufts (8-8-5, 4-7-4 NESCAC)
Amherst (8-9-4, 6-6-3 NESCAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Purple & White never had to pay catch-up in the outing, taking and holding onto a lead midway through the opening period.
- Amherst finished the matchup 1-for-5 on man-up opportunities, while Tufts finished the game 0-for-3 on the power play.
- The Purple & White finished the game with a 41-34 advantage in shots on goal.
- Connor Girard (3-6-0) racked up 33 saves in a stellar game in between the pipes for Amherst, while Mason Pulde (5-5-3) recorded 39 saves for the Jumbos in net.
- Amherst was first to strike as Roll got Amherst on the scoreboard at the 8:02 mark in the opening period. Collecting a pass from Austin Ho '17 near the left face off dot, Roll ripped a snap shot into the netting.
- Amherst and Tufts battled to a scoreless second period, with Amherst holding a slight 6-5 edge in shots on goal in the stanza.
- Up a skater, sophomore Will Vosejpka had one of the Purple & White's best opportunities of the second period at the 14:10 mark, sending a shot from the high slot off of the shoulder of Mason Pulde.
- Lindstrom tallied his team-leading eighth goal of the season three minutes into the third stanza, sending a low hard shot past the Jumbo netminder from the high slot area. Conor Brown '16 and Tyler Granara '18 were credited with the assists on the scoring play.
- Mike Leary nearly brought Tufts within one less than two minutes later, corralling a rebound and rifling a shot from point blank range off the right pad of Girard.
- Stewart Bell made it a 2-1 contest with 10:49 remaining in the final period of action, finding a loose puck near the top of the left circle and sending a wrist shot into the goal short side.
- Tufts threatened once again at the 9:06 mark, but Girard was up to the task, making a stellar glove save on a point blank shot from David Lackner.
- Roll led all skaters with seven shots on target in the game, while Brian Brown led the Jumbos with five shots on goal.
- Tufts University takes the ice against Hamilton College in Clinton, N.Y. on Feb. 14 at 3 p.m.
- Amherst returns to Orr Rink on Sunday, Feb. 14 at 3 p.m. to face off against Connecticut College in a NESCAC tilt.