AMHERST, Mass. – Sophomore Thomas Lindstrom scored his team-leading seventh goal of the season to briefly even the score at 1-1, but the Amherst College men's ice hockey team was unable to rebound from a Polar Bear power play goal two minutes later, as the Purple & White fell to Bowdoin College, 3-1, in Friday evening's NESCAC tilt.
Bowdoin (9-7-3, 5-5-3 NESCAC)
Amherst (6-9-4, 4-6-3 NESCAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bowdoin scored once in each stanza to secure a 3-1 victory over Amherst.
- The Purple & White held a 37-25 edge in shots on goal, including a 19-3 advantage in the third period.
- Amherst finished 1-for-4 on the power play, while the Polar Bears went 1-for-2 on man-up opportunities.
- Connor Girard '18 (1-6-0) registered 22 saves in the matchup between the pipes for the Purple & White, while Peter Cronin (8-5-2) made 36 saves in the winning effort for Bowdoin.
- The Purple & White's best opportunity of the opening period came with 6:04 to play as first-year Phil Johansson sent a shot from the top of the right circle off the short-side post.
- Austin Ricci gave the Polar Bears a 1-0 lead with 5:46 on the clock in the first period. Sebastian Foster won the faceoff on the left circle back to Ricci who fired a low wrist shot past Girard.
- Down a skater on the penalty kill, Bowdoin's Peter Cronin made a sensational save at the 6:19 mark in the second stanza to preserve Bowdoin's one goal lead, reaching behind him to turn away Topher Flanagan's '16 shot into a seemingly open net.
- Converting on its second power play opportunity of the matchup, Amherst evened the score at 1-1 as Lindstrom collected a rebound and deked past the diving Bowdoin netminder before sending the puck over the goal line.
- The Polar Bears regained a one-goal edge two minutes later. Entering the offensive zone on a power play, Spencer Antunez ripped a snap shot near the left faceoff dot past Girard.
- In a tilt filled with close calls, the Purple & White nearly evened the game at two with 2:15 remaining in the second stanza. Sophomore Patrick Mooney's shot from the point found its way past Cronin, however Polar Bear defender Brendan Conroy was able to stop and clear the puck before it crossed the goal line.
- The two sides each had a breakaway opportunity in the opening five minutes of the third period, however both Girard and Cronin were up to the task in between the pipes. David White '18 had his shot turned away by Cronin with 19:37 on the clock, before Brendan Conroy forced Girard to make a right pad save at the 16:30 mark.
- Matthew Lison added an insurance tally with 30 seconds remaining in the final period to seal the victory for Polar Bears, 3-1.
- Connor Brown '16 and Lindstrom led the purple & White with five shots on target apiece in the matchup, while Matthew Lison led Bowdoin with six shots on frame.
- Bowdoin takes on Hamilton College in Clinton, N.Y. on Jan. 6 at 3 p.m.
- Amherst welcomes Colby College to Orr Rink for a conference matchup on Saturday, Jan. 6 starting at 3 p.m.