SALEM, Mass. – Phil Johansson '19 scored twice in the third period in a span of less than three minutes, but No. 11/12 Amherst College could not erase a 3-0 deficit against No. 2/4 Babson College as the Beavers held on for a 4-2 victory in Saturday afternoon's Babson/Salem State Men's Ice Hockey Tournament at Salem State.
- After a scoreless first period saw Babson hold a 14-6 advantage in shots on goal, the Beavers exploded for three goals in the second period.
- Bill Seligman put Babson on the board first when he struck at the 7:27 mark of the second stanza following assists from Jake Donahue and Tim Searles. Searles then scored on the power play at the 14:25 mark to give the Beavers a 2-0 lead. Mike Vollmin and Seligman provided the helpers on the goal.
- With just 17 seconds left in the second frame, Joe DePietto found the back of the net to lift the score to 3-0 following passes from Jimmy Magrath and Matt Michalke.
- In the third, Amherst rallied as Johansson lit the lamp for the first of his two goals at the 7:57 mark after Conor Brown '16 and Topher Flanagan '16 provided assists on the scoring play to set the score at 3-1.
- At the 10:48 mark, Johansson struck again following another feed from Flanagan, and one from Theo Hannah '16 to narrow the Purple & White's deficit to 3-2.
- Amherst held a 6-4 edge in shots on target in the third session, but could net the equalizer as Rob Devaney potted an empty-netter with 26 seconds remaining in regulation to seal the game for Babson. Michael Phillips and Vollmin contributed the helpers on the marker.
- Purple & White senior goalie Dave Cunningham (2-1-3) made 14 of his 21 stops in the first period, while Jamie Murray (9-1-1) made 10 of his 20 saves in the second period.
- Amherst returns to Babson/Salem State tournament action Sunday, January 3 when it takes on Salem State at 1 p.m.
- Babson will play Endicott College at 4 p.m.