LEWISTON, Maine – Amherst College sophomore Johnny McCarthy netted a game-high 25 points and pulled in a game-best 13 boards to help spark the 11th-ranked Purple & White to an 88-69 NESCAC victory over Bates College Friday evening at Alumni Gymnasium in Lewiston, Maine.
Amherst (18-3, 6-1 NESCAC)
Bates (10-11, 2-5 NESCAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Amherst relied on sharpshooting throughout the contest as the Purple & White shot at a 48.6% clip from the field, and hit on 9-of-18 from three-point range.
- McCarthy was an impressive 10-of-14 from the floor and 5-of-6 from beyond-the arc en route to his 25 points. He also grabbed 13 boards, tying his collegiate career-high mark on the glass. Jayde Dawson '18 followed with 22 points on 7-of-18 shooting from the field and 7-of-10 efficiency from the charity stripe. He added six rebounds and dished out a game-high eight helpers to help seal the win.
- David George '17 added 14 points, four blocked shots, and nine rebounds, while Connor Green '16 logged nine points and 11 rebounds. Eric Conklin '17 chipped in eight points off the bench, Reid Berman '17 dished out four assists, and Michael Riopel '18 netted six points in reserve.
- The Bobcats had four players finish with double digit scoring totals led by Mike Boornazian who netted a team-best 17 points. Marcus Delpeche followed with 13 points, Jerome Darling added 11 points, and Josh Britten chipped in 10 points. Malcolm Delpeche and Shawn Strickland finished with eight and seven points respectively, while both Marcus and Malcolm Delpeche collected a team-high five rebounds each.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS
- In a closely contested start to the first half, Amherst eventually ran its lead to 10 points (27-17) when Dawson connected on the back end of two free throws.
- Bates answered as Boornazian muscled in a bucket in the paint that started a 10-2 run capped by a pair of Malcolm Delpheche free throws to pull the Bobcats to within two at 29-27 with 5:34 on the clock.
- A George dunk, followed by a McCarthy swish from three-point range triggered a 12-6 run to close out the half and give the Purple & White a 41-33 advantage at intermission.
- McCarthy scored 20 of his 25 points in the first stanza, including his fourth three-pointer with 10 seconds left in the half.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS
- In the second half, Amherst scored 18 of the first 24 points and secured its largest lead of the contest (20 points) when McCarthy drained his fifth strike from long distance with 14 minutes to play in the game to set the score at 59-39.
- The Bobcats were able to close to within 15 (79-64) when Boornazian swished a trey, but that's as close as they could get as Dawson erupted for 15 of his 22 points in the second half to help the Purple & White cement the 19-point win.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Amherst has now won four games in a row, and five of its last six since Jan. 22.
- Green, who sits in third place on Amherst's all-time points list, has now scored 1,571 during his four-year career.
- Amherst returns to NESCAC action Saturday, February 6 when it travels to Medford, Mass. to take on Tufts University at 2 p.m.
- Bates takes the floor again tomorrow afternoon at 3 p.m. when it hosts NESCAC rival Trinity College.