AMHERST, Mass. – David George '17 netted 10 points, collected nine rebounds, and swatted four shots, while Jeff Racy '17 was 4-for-5 from three-point range (12 points) to help guide the No. 9 Amherst College men's basketball team to a 66-40 victory over NESCAC and Little III rival Wesleyan University in Friday evening's conference contest at LeFrak Gymnasium.
Wesleyan (12-3, 1-2 NESCAC)
Amherst (12-1, 2-0 NESCAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The swarming Amherst defense held Wesleyan to a mere 20.8% shooting from the floor (11-for-53) and 0% shooting from three-point distance as the Purple & White held a commanding 39-19 lead after 20 minutes of play.
- Amherst was led by a balanced offensive effort that saw Racy (12 points) and George (10 points) lead all players in scoring. Jayde Dawson '18 netted nine points, picked up five rebounds and dished out three assists, while Connor Green '16 dropped eight points, registered seven boards, and notched three steals. Johnny McCarthy '18 rounded out the starting lineup with seven points, five rebounds, and three assists.
- Off the bench, Reid Berman '17 chipped in eight points including a pair of deep treys, while Michael Riopel '18 and Eric Conklin '17 contributed six points each. Jacob Nabatoff '17 was a force on the glass picking up nine rebounds in reserve for the Purple & White.
- The Cardinals were led by Joseph Kuo who scored a team-high nine points and added six boards. Nathan Krill added eight points off the bench, while Jack Mackey and Kevin O'Brien pulled down eight rebounds each to lead Wesleyan in the losing effort.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS
- Amherst came out firing to start the first half as Green, Dawson and Racy each connected from long distance as the Purple & White scored nine of the first 13 points of the game.
- A Dawson layup, followed by a resonating dunk by George at the 15:33 mark extended the hosts' lead to 13-4 and they did not look back.
- Racy, Berman, McCarthy and Green each added another trey as the Purple & White cruised to a 39-19 lead at intermission.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS
- McCarthy and Dawson converted back-to-back buckets underneath to start the second stanza for Amherst, but Wesleyan responded with a three-point play by Krill who made a layup and nailed the free throw to set the score at 43-22 at the 18:30 mark.
- The Purple & White answered with another slam by George, and two more knock-downs from beyond-the-arc by Racy to help spark Amherst to a 51-29 advantage.
- A layup by Berman at the 2:59 gave the Purple & White their largest lead of the game (30 points) and set the score at 63-33 as Amherst pulled away to its 26-point victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Friday's NESCAC matchup between the rivals marks the first of two meetings in four days between the sides as Wesleyan hosts the Little III tilt Monday evening at 7 p.m. in Middletown, Conn.
- Amherst returns to the court tomorrow afternoon when it hosts NESCAC foe Conn. College at 3 p.m. at LeFrak Gymnasium.
- Wesleyan is back in action tomorrow at 3 p.m. at Trinity College.