AMHERST, Mass. – The No. 9 Amherst College men's basketball team used a combined seven three-pointers from Connor Green '16 and Jeff Racy '17 to help lift the Purple & White to a 78-66 victory over NESCAC and Little III rival Williams College Friday evening at LeFrak Gymnasium.
Williams (8-4, 0-1 NESCAC)
Amherst (11-1, 1-0 NESCAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Amherst led by as many as 14 points with 6:23 to play in the second period, and converted 13 Williams turnovers into 17 points, including 13 on the fast break to help steer the Purple & White to the victory.
- Amherst shot 46% from the field and 42.9% from three-point range, and were led by Green and Racy who each totaled a game-high 16 points. Racy connected on 4-of-6 from beyond the arc, while Green netted 3-of-9 shots from long distance. Johnny McCarthy '18 was 4-of-9 from the field and dropped 12 points and collected a team-high eight rebounds, while Eric Conklin '17 was superb off the bench en route to 15 points on the strength of 7-of-8 shooting from the floor.
- Jayde Dawson '18 and Reid Berman '17 directed the Purple & White offensive efforts with nine and eight assists respectively. Dawson added eight points and six boards, McCarthy notched three steals, and David George '17 swatted four shots to help seal the win.
- The Ephs were led by Edward Flynn who finished with 16 points on 7-of-7 shooting from the field. Kyle Scadlock chipped in 12 points and seven rebounds, while Bobby Casey was 5-for-8 from the field en to highlight a 13-point effort off the bench. Daniel Aronowitz pulled down a game-high nine rebounds, scored nine points and dished out four assists, while Casey added three helpers in the loss.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS
- Amherst got the game off to an electrifying start as Dawson found George open in the paint and he slammed in a dunk to give Amherst an early 2-0 lead. Williams responded with a layup by Scadlock, a rebound and put back by Flynn, and a dunk by Scadlock to highlight a 6-0 run by the visitors that gave the Ephs a 6-2 advantage at the 17:14 mark – their largest of the contest.
- The Purple & White answered and with 13:35 left to play in the first stanza, Racy knocked down back-to-back treys to give Amherst a 14-9 lead.
- A Scadlock bucket underneath at the 8:50 mark pulled Williams to within two (19-17), but that's as close as it would get as the Purple & White grew its lead back to as many as 11 points (30-19 at the 6:30 mark) as Green scored 11 straight points for Amherst, including a pair of three-pointers to highlight an 11-2 run.
- The Ephs narrowed the gap and a layup by Casey with 48 seconds left in the period set the halftime score at 37-32 in favor of the Purple & White.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS
- Aronowitz and Flynn converted back-to-back baskets over the first 1:30 to pull Williams to within one at 37-36, but another dunk by George, followed by a swish from beyond-the-arc by Dawson allowed the hosts to pull away.
- A trey by McCarthy and layup by Green made it 47-36 with 16:14 to play, before a three-pointer from Racy 10 minutes later lifted the lead to 14 (69-55) and sealed the win as the Ephs could not get to within fewer than 10 points for the duration of the game.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Amherst has now won four of its last six games against Williams dating back to the 2013-14 season.
- The Purple & White resume action in one week when they host Little III and NESCAC foe Wesleyan University at 7 p.m. at LeFrak Gymnasium.
- The Ephs are back in action Sunday, January 10 when they travel to Trinity College for a 2 p.m. NESCAC tilt.