AUBURNDALE, Mass. – All five starters for the No. 3 Amherst College men's basketball team scored in double-figures as the Purple & White cruised to a commanding 101-69 non-conference win on the road against Lasell College Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It took 5:26 of play for Amherst to take its first lead of the game, but it was all Purple & White from that point on.
- Jeff Racy '17 led Amherst in scoring and hit seven three-pointers (7-11) as he finished with a game-high 25 points. He was joined in double-figures by Connor Green '16 with 18, Johnny McCarthy '18 with 14, Jayde Dawson '18 with 12 and David George '17 with 10. George also grabbed eight rebounds and blocked two shots, and Dawson dished out four assists.
- Amherst shot 52.1% (38-73) from the floor, 44.7% (17-38) from downtown and 61.5% (8-13) from the charity stripe. The visitor's led by as much as 38 points late in the second half, and held Lasell to 38.9% (28-72) shooting from the floor, 29.2% (7-24) from beyond-the-arc and 66.7% (6-9) from the line. Amherst held a 45-38 edge in rebounding.
- The Lasers were led by Scott Arsenault, Pat Marchand and Logan Liberty with 15, 14 and 10 points, respectively. Liberty also led the team in rebounding (6), assists (4) and blocks (1).
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS
- Despite the decisive victory, Lasell scored the first five points of the game to take an early lead.
- Amherst quickly knotted the game at 7-7 shortly after following a jumper by George, and a three-pointer by Green at the 14:34 mark gave the visitor's their first lead of the game, up 17-14.
- The Purple & White never looked back from that point on, and a lay-up by Michael Riopel '18 with 9:04 to play in the first half capped off a 10-0 Amherst run as it pulled away, 36-21.
- Amherst continued to increase its lead and eventually took a 54-35 advantage at the break.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS
- The second half was all Amherst.
- At the 13:57 mark, Racy hit another three-pointer to give the visitor's a 30-point lead, up 76-46.
- The Purple & White outscored the Lasers, 47-34 in the final 20 minutes of regulation en route to the impressive non-conference road win.
- Amherst is off for the break and will return to the court Saturday, Jan. 2 for another non-conference matchup against Rust. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.
- Lasell is back in action Tuesday, Jan. 5 for a road game at Suffolk at 7 p.m.