AMHERST, Mass. – Johnny McCarthy '18 recorded a double-double with a career-high 22 points and 10 rebounds to help lead the fifth-ranked Amherst College men's basketball team to an 86-64 win over Anna Maria College Monday night in LeFrak Gymnasium.
Anna Maria: 2-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Amherst held a slight 38-35 edge at halftime, but pulled away in the second half as it outscored the AMCATS, 48-29 in the final 20 minutes of regulation.
- McCarthy recorded his first double-double of the season, and led all players in points and rebounds. Eric Conklin '17 went 8-of-10 from the field for the second game in a row to total 17 points, while also grabbing seven rebounds, and Jeff Racy '17 and Jayde Dawson'18 added 16 and 14 points, respectively. Dawson and McCarthy also led the team with three assists each.
- Amherst outscored Anna Maria 54-34 in the paint, and 21-2 in second-chance points. The Purple & White shot 51.5% (35-68) from the floor, 25.0% (6-24) from downtown and 83.3% (10-12) from the charity stripe.
- Patrick Bradanese led the AMCATS with 20 points on 8-of-19 shooting, and also posted a team-high five rebounds along with Kyle McKissick, and a team-high four assists. Corey Pryor was the only other Anna Maria player in double-figures with 11 points.
- The AMCATS went 38.9% (28-72) from the floor, 29.2% (7-24) from beyond-the-arc and just 1-of-2 (50.0%) from the foul line.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS
- The first half was competitive from the opening tip-off to halftime, and featured seven lead changes and three ties.
- Amherst took its first lead of the game at the 16:11 mark following a three-point play from Dawson to put the home team ahead, 5-4.
- Following a three-pointer by Pryor that put the visitor's up, 11-9, Amherst responded with an 11-0 run to take a nine point lead – it's largest of the first half.
- Minutes later, Anna Maria went on a run of its own and scored nine unanswered to even the game at 28-28 with 7:09 to play before the break.
- The game went back-and-forth in the closing minutes. A lay-up by Bradenese cut the deficit to one (36-35) with 1:56 remaining, but David George '17 hit a lay-up of his own just over a minute later to give Amherst the three-point lead heading into the locker room.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS
- The second half was a different story. After a three-pointer by David Jean-Louis evened the score seconds into the half, Amherst responded with an 8-0 run capped off by a Conklin lay-up.
- The Purple & White continued to extend their lead following strong shooting performances from Racy and McCarthy, and went ahead by double-digits for the first time at the 15:19 mark after a basket by Dawson.
- The visitor's would pull within five, on two occasions, but it was the closest they would get the rest of the way as Amherst outscored Anna Maria, 29-12 down the stretch.
- Amherst has a week off before returning to action Tuesday, Dec. 1 for its first road game of the 2015-16 season. The Purple & White will tip-off against Westfield State at 7 p.m.
- Anna Maria is back in action tomorrow, Nov. 24 and will face Clark on the road at 4 p.m.