NEW GLOUCESTER, Maine – Pacing all harriers with a time of 21:19.9, Nicky Roberts '18 became the eighth Mammoth in women's cross country program history to earn an individual NESCAC Championship title, and first since Lizzie Lacy '19 did so in 2015, as the Amherst College women's cross country team captured fifth place behind a 1-22-25-41-44(46)(48) scoring order (23:05 average 6K) at the 34th installment of the annual conference meet hosted by Bates College at Pineland Farms Saturday afternoon.
- TOP-THREE: Williams (62), Middlebury (77), Tufts (82)
- TOP-MAMMOTH: Roberts (21:19.9 / 1st)
- TOTAL RUNNERS: 144
MAMMOTHS SCORING RUNNERS
- For the second consecutive race, Roberts beat out the second place finisher by more than 30 seconds to clinch the top spot, as the North Reading, Mass. native edged out Victoria Kingham of Williams (21:53.9) with a 21:19.9 mark to cross the finish line as the conference's fastest harrier.
- Cutting nearly three minutes off of her 25:59.16 mark at last season's Championship, Kristin Ratliff '20 was second on the Mammoths with a time of 23:12.1 en route to securing 22nd overall.
- Junior Veronica Rocco also impressed at the league meet, logging a 25th place finish with a 23:20.1 mark – a 65 second improvement on her time from last fall.
- Continuing a strong rookie campaign was Haley Greene '21, with the first-year owning a time of 23:42.5 to earn 43rd.
- Lela Walter '19 rounded out Amherst's scoring runners, clocking a time of 23:46.7 to finish shortly behind Greene and take 46th overall.
AMHERST IN THE SCORESHEET
- Nicky Roberts '18 / 21:19.9 / 1st
- Kristin Ratliff '20 / 23:12.1 / 22nd
- Veronica Rocco '19 / 23:20.1 / 25th
- Haley Greene '21 / 23:42.5 / 43rd
- Lela Walter '19 / 23:46.7 / 46th
- Sarah Gayer '21 / 23:56.6 / 52nd
- Olivia Polischeck '21 / 23:59.2 / 54th
- Lizzie Lacy '19 / 24:04.0 / 59th
- Paige Reddington '21 / 25:16.0 / 103rd
- Katie Crum '21 / 25:28.5 / 109th
- Olivia Moehl '20 / 27:46.0 / 134th
Amherst returns to action on Saturday, Nov. 11 when they travel to the University of Southern Maine for the DIII New England Regionals. The women's 6K race is slated to take off at 12 p.m. at the Gorham Country Club in Gorham, Maine.