NORTHAMPTON, Mass. – Opening the 2017 season in impressive fashion, the Amherst College women's cross country team placed five runners inside the top-10 as they claimed the team title at the nine-team Smith College Invitational Saturday morning.
TOP-THREE: Amherst (28), Westfield St. (83), Franklin Pierce (93)
TOP-MAMMOTH: Kristen Ratliff '20 (19:34.8, 2nd)
TOTAL RUNNERS: 95
MAMMOTHS SCORING RUNNERS
- Ratliff was first to cross the finish line for the Mammoths. Edged out only by Westfield State's Jess Cardin (19:14.), the sophomore recorded an average mile time of 6:18.1 to finish in 19:34.8 and take second overall.
- Finishing back to back, Lela Walter '19 and Sarah Gayer '21 captured fourth and fifth in the event with times of 20:04.4 and 20:05.9, respectively.
- First-year Haley Greene put together a noteworthy first collegiate race for Amherst, taking seventh overall with a 20:11.7 mark, while Olivia Polischeck '21 rounded out the Mammoths' scoring runners with a time of 20:33.7 (10th overall).
AMHERST IN THE SCORESHEET
- Lizzie Lacy '19 / 21:04.3 / 17th
- Paige Reddington '21 / 21:10.1 / 18th
- Gabrielle Doran '19 / 21:35.0 /26th
- Katie Crum '21 / 21:57.8 / 30th
- Monica Nimmagadda '18 / 22:06.9 / 34th
- Helen Clapp '18 / 22:12.1 / 37th
The Mammoths return to the trails on Saturday, Sept. 23 when they travel to archrival Williams for the annual Purple Valley Classic.