AMHERST, Mass. – Amherst College's Kate Bres '17 dished out 26 assists, and Hayes Honea '19 collected 24 digs – both match highs – to help lift the Purple & White to a 3-0 (25-14, 25-18, 25-14) sweep of Bates College in Saturday afternoon's NESCAC volleyball match at LeFrak Gymnasium.
With the win, Amherst improves to 9-3 on the season, 4-1 in league play, while Bates moves to 4-9 overall, 1-3 in conference action. The Purple & White return to NESCAC play Friday, Oct. 7 when they travel to Conn. College for a 7 p.m. match in New London, Conn.
In the opening set, Amherst, trailing 3-1, used a run of six straight points, capped by a Maggie Danner '17 kill to take a 7-3 lead. Ahead 13-10, the Purple & White kept Bates at bay with another run of five consecutive points that featured a pair of assisted blocks by Annika Reczek '18 and Lauren Reppert '19 to help the hosts stake an 18-10 cushion. Holding on to a 20-14 edge, Amherst once again orchestrated a five-point run as Marialexa Natsis '18 floored a kill and combined with Danner on an assisted block to seal the first frame, 25-14.
A back-and-fourth second stanza saw the sides battle through 11 tie scores as the Bobcats used a kill by Chandler McGrath to knot the set at 18-18. From there, Nicole Gould '17 smashed a kill on a nice feed from Bres to spark a 7-0 run that saw Danner collect two more kills and add a solo stuff to help give the Purple & White a 25-18 victory and take a 2-0 lead in the contest.
Holding a 17-12 edge in the third frame, a solo block by Danner – her second of the match – ignited a 7-0 run that saw Natsis, Danner, and Reppert each down a kill, while Honea served up an ace to help set the score at 24-12. Reilly Murphy answered with a solo block for Bates, and Amherst hit a ball into the net allowing the Bobcats to pull to within 10 at 24-14, but a Reppert kills sealed the sweep for the Purple & White as the hosts claimed the third set, 25-14.
- Bres dished out 26 of the team's 40 assists, while Charlotte Duran '20 added 11 assists in the winning effort.
- Danner led all hitters with 11 kills, while Gould followed with eight and turned in a stellar .333 hitting percentage. Emily Kolsky '20 tabbed a .417 hitting clip with six kills, while Natsis also finished with six kills. Reppert terminated seven balls to help pace the Purple & White's balanced attack.
- In addition to amassing 24 digs, Honea handed out four aces, while Kelci Keeno '17 chipped in 11 digs. Danner added eight digs, and Bres finished with six.
- At the net, Danner notched a pair of solo blocks and assisted on another, while Reczek provided three assisted blocks.
- McGrath led the Bates offense in defeat, logging eight kills, while Jacqueline Forney paced the effort with 20 assists and seven digs.
- Gabi Eustache tabbed a team-high 13 digs, while Lauren Brough followed with 10. Augy Silver and Julia Panepinto contributed eight digs apiece in the losing effort.