(photo by Mark Box, Clarus Studios)
AMHERST, Mass. – Amherst College used an eight-kill effort from Nicole Gould '17, and 21 digs from senior libero Katie Warshaw to help pace the Purple & White to a 3-0 (25-9, 25-7, 25-16) sweep of Westfield State University in Wednesday evening's non-conference match at LeFrak Gymnasium.
Westfield State (7-9)
- Amherst was led by Nicole Carter '16 and Kate Bres '17 who dished out 18 and 12 assists respectively.
- Lizzie Ahern '16 and Marialexa Natsis '18 followed Gould with six kills each, while Jennifer Mackinnon Krems '18, Lauren Reppert '19 and Annika Reczek '18 downed five kills each.
- Asha Walker '18 served up three aces and notched six digs, while Carter and Kate Antion '18 finished with eight and seven digs respectively.
- Jen Green and Shannon Shea led Westfield State with four kills, while Casey Howe and Kendyl Haney chipped in three each.
- Lizzie Taylor led the Owls with 16 digs, while Tiara Vaughn followed with nine.
- Shea and Danielle Hunt registered seven digs each in the losing effort, while Courtney Ryan and Brigid Murray dished out seven assists each.
- Amherst opened up a 2-0 lead in the contest, and a 19-13 lead in the third set before Westfield State used a kill by Green and a Purple & White attacking error over the next three points to close to within five at 20-15.
- A Gould kill, and a service ace by Antion lifted the advantage to 23-15, before Haney delivered a kill for the Owls to set the score at 23-16. From there, a Westfield State attacking error and a kill by Ahern sealed the sweep for Amherst.
- Amherst returns to NESCAC action Friday, Oct. 9 at rival Middlebury College for an 8 p.m. contest.
- Westfield State travels to the two-day (Oct. 9-10) Tom Hay Invitational hosted by Springfield College and will take on Keene State at 7 p.m. in its first match of the tournament.