AMHERST, Mass. – With 84 points on the day, the Amherst College women's track & field team competed their home turf in impressive fashion as they captured third overall at the fifth annual Spring Fling Saturday at Lehrman Stadium. Only 10 points separated the Mammoths and the first-place finishers.
The Mammoths return to action next weekend, April 12-13 when they compete at the Silfen Invitational hosted by Connecticut College.
- Lining up for the 100H, Annelise Romero '22 and Lauren Lamb '21 impressed with fourth and eighth place performances, respectively.
- Not long after the hurdles we saw a great showing by the middle-distance racers, with Jenny Mazzella '20 racing confidently in the 800m and finishing fourth overall with a time of 2:22.60.
- Moving into the 1500m, the quartet of Rachel Ruderman '21, Maggie Drew '22, Maya Bhandari '20 and Olivia Polischeck '21 each raced their way to a top-10 finish.
- Christina Scartelli '19 and Sarah Gayer '21 both moved up in distance this week from their usual 1500m spot to the role as 5K runners. Finishing first and second overall, the pair clinched Division III New England qualifying marks with times of 17:13.38 and 18:37.04.
- Dropping down in distance, the sprint crew swept the 400m dash placing one through four. Winning in a time of 59.56, Juanita Jaramillo '22 led the way, while Sophia Friedman '21 (59.63), Julia Asin '19 (60.66), and Isabelle Lobo '22 (61.98) followed shortly behind.
- In the 200m dash, Samantha Tichelaar '22 (seconds overall) and Rubii Tamen '19 (third overall) had a fantastic showing, while Friedman and Jaramillo took sixth and ninth.
- First-years Romero and Yaa Obeng set personal bests in the shot put, which were strong enough for fourth and fifth place overall.
- On the jumping runway, Lamb continued her success from last week by winning the triple jump, setting a new personal best of 10.89m, and locking down a Division III New England qualifying mark. Seniors Emily Flaherty and Yrenly Yuan took third and fourth with solid marks as well.
- In the long jump, Dana Frishman '21 stepped up for the Mammoths with a mark of 5.25m, which was good enough for a Division III New England qualifier and fourth place overall.