MEDFORD, Mass. – Amherst College was one of 18 women's indoor track and field teams to compete at the second annual Branwen Smith-King Invitational at Tufts University, with the Mammoths placing third overall behind two first place and three second place finishes.
The Mammoths return to action next weekend, Feb. 1-2 when they split the squad and compete at the NEICAAA Indoor Championships hosted by MIT and the Tufts Cupid Challenge.
- LOCATION: Gantcher Center, Tufts University
- AMHERST FINISH: Third (97 points)
- TOP-THREE: Stonehill (157 points), Tufts (130 points), Amherst (97 points)
- Competing in the 13 competitor pentathlon, Friday evening Annelise Romero '22 impressed for the Mammoths to clinch a 10th place overall finish.
- Lining up for the 60m hurdles in the first event of the night, Romero crossed the finish line in 10.87 seconds to take 11th, before tying for sixth place in the high jump with a height of 1.40m.
- Taking ninth in the shot put and the long jump, Romero registered a throw of 7.87m and a jump of 4.42m.
- Romero rounded out the event with a sixth place finish in the 800m run, posting a 2:39.58 mark.
- Ella Rossa '21 clinched gold in the 60m hurdles with a time of 9.11 seconds after posting a 9.14 second mark in the prelims, while Lauren Lamb '21 clinched eighth overall with a time of 9.96 seconds.
- Dominating the 3000 meter run, Lela Walter '19, Haley Greene '21 and Olivia Polischeck '21 each finished inside the top-seven, with Walter pacing the pack with a second place finish (10:32.84). Greene's time of 10:43.03 was good for fifth, while Polischeck placed seventh with a 10:50.67 mark.
- With a time of 5:03.05 in the one mile run, Christina Scartelli '19 clinched silver, while Sarah Gayer '21 placed sixth with a time of 5:21.24 to combine for 11 points.
- Adding 22 points to the board in the 400m dash, Amherst got second, third, fourth and sixth place finishes from Sam Tichelaar '22 (1:00.50), Anna Madden '22 (1:00.66), Sophia Friedman '21 (1:00.85), Juanita Jaramillo '22 (1:01.12).
- Facing off in the 600m run, Isabel Balcezak '19 and Lexi Perez Stern '19 finished back-to-back with times to 1:48.30 and 1:49.13 to place 10th and 11th overall.
- Jenny Mazzella '20 led the Mammoths in the 800m run with a seventh place finish (2:27.31). She was followed by Molly Carleton '19 (2:27.86 – eighth) and Grace Haase '21 (2:28.43 –10th).
- In the 1000m run, Paige Reddington '21 placed fourth overall with a 3:10.66 mark, while Rachel Ruderman '21 took fifth with a time of 3:10.86. Maggie Drew '22 clocked a time of 3:14.18 in the event to earn eighth.
- Rubii Tamen '19 crushed the 56-runner 200m dash, crossing the finish line in 27.09 seconds to earn second overall.
- The 4x400 relay squad of Tichelaar, Friedma , Jarmillo and Madden posted a 4:05.00 to take gold.
- In the 38-competitor long jump, Amherst placed three Mammoths in the top-10, with Dana Frishman '21 leading the way with sixth place finish (5.03m). Right behind Frishman was Tichelaar with a 4.95m mark (seventh place), followed by Madden in ninth (4.92m).
- Lamb took sixth overall in the triple jump, notching a distance of 10.44m.