WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – Camille Smukler '20 highlighted the Mammoths at the ITA New England Regional Championships, advancing to the singles finals as the Amherst College women's tennis team finished with an 8-6 record in singles play and a 5-3 mark in doubles competition at the annual tournament.
Amherst returns to action on Friday, Oct. 13, when they close out their fall slate with the three-day NEWITT Invitational hosted by Smith and Mount Holyoke.
- Maddie Dewire '20
- Dewire pushed past Julia Keller (Tufts) the opening round with a thrilling 7-6(3), 6-2 win, before falling to No. 1 seed and eventual ITA singles champion, Eudice Chong (Wesleyan), 6-1, 6-0.
- Avery Wagman '18
- Wagman finished 1-1 in singles competition, downing Alissa Nakamoto of Wesleyan, 6-2, 6-3 before being edged by No. 3 seed Juli Raventos of Williams, 6-2, 6-1.
- Jen Chen '20
- Chen advanced past the first round with a 6-4, 6-1 win against Callie Nesbit of Colby, but was beat out by No. 5 seed Mina Karamercan of Tufts in the Round of 32, 6-2, 6-2.
- Camille Smukler '20 (No. 4 Seed)
- Smukler began her bid to reach the ITA singles finals with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Justine Hanson (Gordon) before downing Keren Khromchenko of Brandeis, 6-4, 6-3 in second round action.
- Battling No. 9 seed Libby Rickeman of MIT, Smukler posted a 6-2, 6-2 win to earn a spot in the Elite 8.
- In a highly contested bout, Smukler advanced past Mia Gancayco (Williams) in three sets, 5-7, 6-3, 10-7 and added a 6-3, 6-4 victory over No. 6 Leah Bush (Williams) to set the stage for a match against top-seeded Chong for the individual title.
- In the final, Smukler was edged by reigning ITA individual champion and No. 1 Seed Chong, 6-1, 6-0.
- Vickie Ip '18
- Paired against sixth-seeded Bush, Ip fell in first round play, 6-2, 6-1.
- Camilla Trapness '19
- Hannah Sweeney of Bated edged Trapness in the round of 64 in a hard fought bout, 6-4, 7-5.
- Smuckler / Dewire
- Facing off against Kohrs and Rickman of MIT in first round action, the duo fell in a hard fought matchup, 8-3.
- Ivenitsky / Wagman
- Advancing to the Sweet 16, Ivenitsky and Wagman downed Babunsky and Brogan (Trinity), 8-4 before earning a spot in the Elite 8 with an 8-6 victory against third-seeded pair Hughes and Schossberger of Middlebury.
- Their second win against a top-seeded opponent, the Mammoths powered past the No. 5 Babson duo of Dehterevish and Ross-Neergaard, 8-2 to be one the final four doubles pairs left standing.
- In the final four, Ivenitsky and Wagman were edged by eventual ITA doubles champions and No. 1 seed Chong and Yu of Wesleyan, 8-3.
- Ip / Kelsey Chen '19 (No. 5 Seed)
- Facing off against Boehm and Paradies of Middlebury and Das and Zhang of MIT in the first two rounds, Amherst battled to two victories, edging the Panthers 9-7 and powering past the Engineers 8-3 to advance to the Elite 8.
- Paired against the second-seeded pair of Raventos and Cancio of Williams, Ip and Chen suffered an 8-4 loss.