WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – Battling archrival Williams College in their lone dual meet of the fall, the Amherst College women's tennis team fell to the Ephs, 7-2 Saturday afternoon at the Hunt Tennis Courts.
With the loss, Amherst falls to 0-1 on the year, while Williams improves to 1-0 overall. Amherst returns to the courts on Friday, Sept. 29 when they compete in the three-day ITA Regional Championships hosted by Williams College.
- In the No. 1 spot, Kelsey Chen '19 and Vicki Ip '18 were edged by Juli Raventos and Julia Cancio, 9-7 in a hard fought matchup, while Anya Ivenitsky '20 and Avery Wagman '18 fell to Chloe Henderson and Rachel Cross on the second court, 8-2.
- Duo Camille Smukler '20 and Maddie Dewire '20 earned an 8-3 win over Sasha Cayward and Mia Gancayco in the third position to send the contest into singles play with the Ephs holding a 2-1 lead.
- Smukler battled past Raventos at the top of the ladder in singles action, 7-6(5), 6-2 to record what stood as the Mammoths' lone singles victory.
- On the second court, Chen fell to Cross, 6-1, 6-2, while Leah Bush posted a 6-4, 6-3 win against Ip.
- Dewire and Ivenitsky both suffered tough, three-set losses on the fourth and fifth courts, respectively, with Dewire falling to Cayward, 6-4, 1-6, 6-3, and Henderson notching a 7-6(2), 6-7(5), 10-4 victory over Ivenitsky.
- In the No. 6 spot, Gancayco clinched a 6-1, 7-5 win versus Camilla Trapness '19.