MIDDLEBURY, Vt. – Competing in the NCAA Regional Finals, the No. 12 Amherst College women's tennis team fell to No. 2 Middlebury College, 5-0 Sunday afternoon at the Nelson Recreation Center.
With the loss, Amherst concludes the 2016-17 season with an overall record of 7-10, while Middlebury moves to 16-4 on the year and advances to the NCAA Quarterfinals.
- The Panthers swept doubles action to take a 3-0 lead into singles play.
- At the top of the ladder Skylar Schossberger and Katherine Hughes edged Camille Smukler '20 and Kelsey Chen '19, 8-4, while Kaysee Orozco and Catherine Blazye posted an 8-4 win against Avery Wagman '18 and Anya Ivenitsky '20 on the second court.
- In the third position, seniors Claire Carpenter and Megan Adamo fell to Alexandra Fields and Christina Puccinelli, 8-2.
- The Panthers secured the 5-0 win with victories on the second and fourth court in singles completion.
- In the No. 2 spot, Puccinelli downed Ivenitsky, 6-1, 6-1, while Heather Boehm defeated Adamo, 6-1, 6-0.
First Court: Alexandra Fields vs. Camille Smukler - 6-2, 4-1, unfinished
Third Court: Catherine Blazye vs. Camilla Trapness - 6-0, 5-1, unfinished
Fifth Court; Molly Paradies vs. Avery Wagman - unfinished
Sixth Court: Maddi Stow vs. Claire Carpenter - unfinished