AMHERST, Mass. – Facing off in a NESCAC bout, the No. 12 Amherst College women's tennis team surged past Hamilton, 9-0 on Senior Day at the Amherst Tennis Courts.
With the win, Amherst improves to 6-7 on the season and to 4-3 in NESCAC competition, while Hamilton falls to 10-7 overall (1-5 NESCAC). Amherst next hits the courts on Saturday, April 29 when they wrap up the regular season with a matchup at No. 3 Middlebury.
- On the first court, Camille Smukler '20 and Kelsey Chen '19 battled to a 9-7 victory against Winnie Tang and Jane Haffer, while the tandem of Anya Ivenitsky '20 and Avery Wagman '18 downed Claire Keyte and Samantha Weeks, 8-1 in the second position.
- The senior duo of Megan Adamo and Claire Carpenter completed the doubles sweep for the Mammoths, besting Claudia Morse and Iona Forrester, 8-0.
- At the top of the ladder, Ivenitsky edged Keyte, 7-5, 6-2, before Camilla Trapness '19 notched a 6-2, 7-5 win against Tang on the second court.
- In the No. 3 spot, Adamo defeated Haffer, 6-2, 6-0, while Jen Chen '20 powered past Forrester, 6-1, 6-0 on the sixth court.
- Playing in the No. 4 and No. 5 spot, Wagman and Carpenter swept Weeks and Morse, respectively, with back-to-back 6-0 sets.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Sunday's contest marked Senior Day for the Mammoths who will graduate three seniors following the 2016-17 season including: Megan Adamo, Claire Carpenter and Lola Fadulu. Together, this year's seniors have amassed an overall mark of 58-24 (.707 winning percentage), including a 17-4 mark at home and a 21-7 ledger in NESCAC play. During that time, Amherst has appeared in two NESCAC title bouts, including a NESCAC Championship crown in 2013-14, and has advanced to the NCAA Finals, Semifinals and Quarterfinals.