MALIBU, Calif. – Strong doubles play propelled the Purple & White to its second consecutive victory as the eleventh-ranked Amherst College women's tennis team defeated Sewanee, 6-3 Friday afternoon to conclude its Spring Break trip.
- An Amherst sweep in doubles action proved to be the difference maker as the Purple & White notched victories on all three courts.
- In the No. 1 spot, Kelsey Chen '19 and Camille Smukler '20 posted an 8-3 win over Clementina Davila and Sara Thompson, while the tandem of Avery Wagman '18 and Anya Ivenitsky '20 downed Christina Merchant and Ellie Czura, 8-6 on the second court.
- Senior duo Claire Carpenter and Megan Adamo finished off Amherst's 3-0 start to the day, edging Darby Duval and Maggie Crumbliss, 8-4.
- On the first court, Smukler defeated Davila in three sets, 1-6, 6-3, 6-2, while Chen added a win over Merchant, 6-3, 6-3, in the second position.
- Wagman secured the Purple & White's third and final victory in singles play on the sixth court, logging a 6-3, 6-2 win against Thompson.
- Amherst returns to the Northeast following its Spring Break trip and is set to travel to Connecticut College on Tuesday, April 4 for 4 p.m. conference bout.