CLAREMONT, Calif. – The Purple & White secured a victory in doubles action, however the Tartans claimed four of six singles matches as the seventh-ranked Amherst College women's tennis team fell to 12th-ranked Carnegie Mellon, 6-3 Wednesday afternoon.
With the loss, Amherst falls to 0-4 on the season, while Carnegie Mellon improves to 11-5 overall.
- Doubles duo Avery Wagman '18 and Anya Ivenitsky '20 won Amherst's sole doubles contest, defeating Vinaya Rao and Courtney Ollis, 8-2 on the second court.
- On the first court, Nicholle Torres and Cori Sidell edged Kelsey Chen '19 and Camille Smukler '20, 8-4, while Jamie Vizelman and Katie Lai downed Joanna Booth '19 and Kelly Yang '19, 8-5 in the third position.
- The Purple & White earned wins on the second and fifth court, with Chen defeating Sidell, 6-4, 6-0 and Megan Adamo '17 edging Ollis, 6-3, 6-3.
- In the top spot, Torres defeated Smukler, 7-5, 7-5, while Vizelman posted a three-set victory over Ivenitsky, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4.
- In the fourth position, Rao upended Camilla Trapness '19, 6-4, 6-2, while Wagman suffered a tough 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4 loss to Lai on the sixth court.
- Amherst returns to the courts tomorrow, Thursday, March 16 when they take on No. 24 Redlands at 3 p.m.