AMHERST, Mass. -The No. 7 Amherst College women's tennis team powered to a 5-0 win over SUNY Geneseo in Saturday's NCAA Division III Second Round contest at the Amherst Tennis Courts.
With the win, Amherst (13-7) will advance to the NCAA Third Round Sunday afternoon at 12 p.m. at the Amherst Tennis Courts. The Purple & White will take on the winner of No. 8 Wesleyan University and No. 14 University of Mary Washington.
- Amherst took a commanding 3-0 lead after doubles action as the Purple & White's tandem of Vickie Ip '18 and Kelsey Chen '19 finished first posting an 8-1 victory for the first point of the match.
- Rebecca L. Pol '16 and Avery Wagman '18 blanked SUNY Geneseo's Maggie Hale and Lauren Salzano, 8-0 win.
- Sue Ghosh '16 and Sarah Monteagudo '16 rounded out the doubles action clinching an 8-3 victory to give Amherst a 3-0 lead.
- Wagman earned the win in #5 singles as the sophomore blanked Sabrina Ferretti in the first set 6-0, before claiming the fourth point with a 6-1 win.
- Amherst was able to secure their final point as Monteagudo posted a 6-1, 6-0 win over SUNY Geneseo's Anika Pornpitaksuk in #3 singles.
- In #2 singles, Jackie Calla '17 edged Marylen Santos 6-2 in set one while Chen and Claire Carpenter also won their first sets 6-2, and 6-1 in #4 and #6 singles respectively.
- Cat Crummey held a 6-3, 0-1 lead on Ip in #1 singles.