Contact: Ben Badua
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. - The Amherst women's tennis team dropped its lone dual match of the fall season with a 6-3 defeat at the hands of archrival Williams.
Headlining doubles play, seniors Jordan Brewer and Gabby Devlin secured an 8-3 triumph over Kara Shoemaker '14 and Rebecca Curran '15. The defending national champions, Brewer and Devlin were coming off a doubles championship at the ITA New England Regionals hosted by the Ephs last weekend.
Williams' Maria Pylypiv '15 and Kathleen Elkins '14 edged out Zoe Pangalos '14 and Jen Newman '14 at second doubles, 8-6. Hannah Atkinson '17 and Riqui McCoy '16 closed out doubles action with an 8-3 win in the third slot over Safi Aly '15 and Sue Ghosh '16.
Taking down Brewer in the first set of their first singles match, 7-5, Shoemaker put the win in the Ephs' column thanks to a decisive 6-0 decision in the second. Devlin picked up one of two Jeff singles wins, downing Elkins, 6-3, 6-4 at No. 2 singles. Winning the opening set of her third singles match with Pylypiv, 6-4, Newman dropped the second frame (6-1), before scoring a 6-1 victory in the third.
Williams' Linda Shin '17 narrowly defeated Ghosh, 7-6 (1), 7-6 (4), in the second slot, while Curran bested Pangalos, 6-3, 6-1. McCoy wrapped up singles action with a 6-1, 6-1, win over first-year Amanda Zalameda.
Amherst returns to action on Oct. 18-20 at the NEWITT Tournament.
WILLIAMS 6, AMHERST 3
1. Brewer/Devlin (A) def. Shoemaker/Curran (W), 8-3
2. Pylypiv/Elkins (W) def. Pangalos/Newman (A), 8-6
3. Atkinson/McCoy (W) def. Aly/Ghosh (A), 8-3
1. Shoemaker (W) def. Brewer (A), 7-5, 6-0
2. Devlin (A) def. Elkins (W), 6-3, 6-4
3. Newman (A) def. Pylypiv (W), 6-4, 1-6, 6-1
4. Shin (W) def. Ghosh (A), 7-6 (1), 7-6 (4)
5. Curran (W) def. Pangalos (A), 6-3, 6-1
6. McCoy (W) def. Zalameda (A), 6-1, 6-1