Contact: Mike O'Brien
FULLERTON, Calif. – The fourth-ranked Amherst women's tennis team was edged by Cal State Fullerton Tuesday, 5-4, at the Titan Tennis Courts.
The loss was the first of the spring for the Jeffs (2-2) and also snapped a two-match win streak. Fullerton (5-10) has now won its second straight dual-match.
In doubles action, Jordan Brewer '14 and Gabby Devlin '14 earned an 8-2 win from the No. 1 court, however, the Jeffs dropped two matches from the second and third positions to lose the doubles point.
With two losses from the top of the order in singles, Jen Newman '14 picked up a win from the No. 3 court. After falling in the first set, 6-3, she retaliated nicely with wins of 6-3 and 6-2.
Sue Ghosh '16 and Zoe Pangalos '14 earned wins from the fourth and fifth positions, respectively. Ghosh defeated her competition easily with wins of 6-2, 6-3 and Pangalos pulled out a 6-4, 7-6 (7-1) win.
The Jeffs return to the court tomorrow, Mar. 19 and will face Concordia. The match is scheduled to start at 11 a.m. ET.
CAL STATE FULLERTON 5, AMHERST 4
1. Brewer/Devlin (A) def. De Leon/McIntosh (C), 8-2
2. Sandford/Valenzuela (C) def. Newman/Pangalos (A), 8-2
3. Abella/Slevcove (C) def. Aly/Monteagudo (A), 8-1
1. Valenzuela (C) def. Brewer (A), 6-2, 7-5
2. McIntosh (C) def. Devlin (A), 6-0, 6-1
3. Newman (A) def. De Leon (C), 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Ghosh (A) def. Sandford (C), 6-2, 6-3
5. Pangalos (A) def. Slevcove (C), 6-4, 7-6 (7-1)
6. Pepa (C) def. Monteagudo (A), 7-5, 6-3