Contact: Ben Badua
SOUTH HADLEY, Mass. - Taking two of three doubles matches and the top three singles pairings, Amherst earned a 6-3 victory over archrival Williams in the squads' fall season dual-match.
The Ephs' top tandem of Kara Shoemaker '14 and Rebecca Curran '15 logged the visitors' only doubles win, defeating Amherst's Jen Newman '14 and Zoe Pangalos '14, 8-6. Jordan Brewer '14 and Sue Ghosh '16 got the Jeffs back on track at second doubles, outlasting Maria Pylypiv '15 and Riqui McCoy '16, 9-8 (6), while Caroline Richman '13 and Safi Aly '15 wrapped up doubles action with an 8-6 triumph over Williams' Nancy Worley '13 and Maya Hart '16.
Brewer got Amherst off to a fast start in first singles, downing Shoemaker, 6-3, 7-6 (4), while Newman held her own in the second slot, rallying from a first set loss en route to a 2-6, 6-3, 6-2 win over Worley. Richman kept the Jeffs rolling in the third spot, besting Curran, 6-2, 7-5, while Pylypiv notched one of two Williams' singles victories, taking down Ghosh, 6-3, 6-1.
Pangalos rebounded from an opening set loss in her fifth singles match, logging a 3-6, 6-3, 6-2, victory over McCoy, while the Ephs' Kate Pollan '16 beat out Aly at the bottom of the lineup (6-3, 6-1).
Amherst returns to action on Oct. 12-14 at the NEWITT hosted by Mount Holyoke and Smith.
Amherst 6, Williams 3
1. Kara Shoemaker/ Rebecca Curran (W) def. Jen Newman/Zoe Pangalos (A), 8-6
2. Jordan Brewer/Sue Ghosh (A) def. Maria Pylypiv/Riqui McCoy (W), 9-8 (6)
3. Caroline Richman/Safi Aly (A) def. Nancy Worley/Maya Hart (W), 8-6
1. Jordan Brewer (A) def. Kara Shoemaker (W), 6-3, 7-6, (4)
2. Jen Newman (A) def. Nancy Worley (W), 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Caroline Richman (A) def. Rebecca Curran (W), 6-2, 7-5
4. Maria Pylypiv (W) def. Sue Ghosh (A), 6-3, 6-1
5. Zoe Pangalos (A) def. Riqui McCoy (W), 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Kate Pollan (W) def. Safi Aly (A), 6-3, 6-1