Contact: Matthew Hart
AMHERST, Mass. – The top-ranked Amherst College women's tennis team remained unbeaten against Division III opponents on Wednesday, cruising to an 8-1 home win over No. 28 Bates College. Improving to 6-0 in NESCAC play (13-1 overall), the Jeffs swept doubles play and clinched the match win with four straight-set triumphs in singles.
Amherst had little trouble with the Bobcats (5-8, 1-3 NESCAC) at second and third doubles as No. 2 duo Caroline Richman '13 and Safi Aly '15 powered past Bates' Nicole Russell and Kristen Doerer 8-2 before Sarah Monteagudo '16 and Isabel Camacho '14 finished off Jacquelyn Holmes and Jenna Burke 8-3. The Bobcats' top pair of Elena Mandzhukova and Ashley Brunk provided a stronger challenge to juniors Gabby Devlin and Zoe Pangalos, but the Jeffs were too strong, completing the sweep with an 8-5 win.
Amherst sealed the match victory quickly in singles play as Monteagudo breezed past Brunk 6-1, 6-1 at No. 3 and Lauren Slutsky '14 downed Audrey Grauer in the fives contest 6-3, 6-0. Lara Min '16 kept the shutout going with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Doerer at No. 6 while Camacho stopped Russell 6-4, 6-3 at fourth singles.
In the two matches to reach a tiebreaker, Richman stepped into the No. 1 spot and held off Mandzhukova 6-1, 4-6, 10-6, but Bates picked up its lone point in the day's most dramatic contest as Aly moved up to No. 2 for Amherst but could not stop a strong comeback from Holmes, falling 4-6, 6-4, 11-9.
The Jeffs return to action on Saturday, facing their stiffest test of the NESCAC season as they travel to third-ranked Williams for a 1 p.m. tilt.
NO. 1 AMHERST 8, NO. 28 BATES 1
1. Gabby Devlin/Zoe Pangalos (A) def. Elena Mandzhukova/Ashley Brunk (B) 8-5
2. Caroline Richman/Safi Aly (A) def. Nicole Russell/Kristen Doerer (B) 8-2
3. Sarah Monteagudo/Isabel Camacho (A) def. Jacquelyn Holmes/Jenna Burke (B) 8-3
1. Richman (A) def. Mandzhukova (B) 6-1, 4-6, 10-6
2. Holmes (B) def. Aly (A) 4-6, 6-4, 11-9
3. Monteagudo (A) def. Brunk (B) 6-1, 6-1
4. Camacho (A) def. Russell (B) 6-4, 6-3
5. Lauren Slutsky (A) def. Audrey Grauer (B) 6-3, 6-0
6. Lara Min (A) def. Doerer (B) 6-2, 6-4